Microsoft Got Owned... ha !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, xp was a disappointment back in 2000 also.
Only mildly so. Not nearly on the same level as the disappointment of Vista.

But also remember that Windows 98 was a very buggy, unstable OS itself. And believe me I know, I once used it.

Which is far different to XP now. XP is a very stable OS, and while bugs might exist, it isn't nearly what you could call a "buggy OS"

Also keep in mind, Windows 98 was still a DOS-based OS (which is a large part of the reason for its bugginess and instability). Windows XP, built on the quite stable Windows 2000, does not rely on DOS.

2000 was basically built from the ground up, and XP was just an improvement on 2000 in a lot of ways (although the core of the OS is very similar)

so, while the transition from 98 to XP was a good step forward, I don't see Vista bringing anything to the world of OS's that will really advance things.
LOL trotter, that was great.

BTW, everyone always says that XP got the same heat when it was new, but TBH I don't remember it getting nearly this much, yeah there were criticisms. But sooner than alter people were adopting it because it was a no contest between XP and ME. ON the other hand Vista is a pure lemon and I don't see how more code in the form of service packs will help. Personally I think less code is the solution. Vista has too much crap going on to make it a stable and reliable system.
I agree. Smaller OS's that keep the same functionality, but don't have too much crap, is the best way to do things.

Give me DirectX 10 for XP x64 edition, and I'll be set.

i agree, microsoft are idiots. they are idiots for making DX10 Vista exclusive too. when i think about it, i have one of those moments where you cant possibly comprehend the idiocy of something, and your almost paralysed with disabelief, and shouting the phrase "WTF" cant relay how you feel.

1) vista sucks so no ones going to get it
2) vista was stupidly expensive when it came out, so now its planted in peoples heads not to buy it ebcause of the cost.
3) when DX10 first came out, there were few cards that could even support it
4) The features of DX10 mean you get slower performance even on fast cards (im thinking about crysis) with the same settings.
5) Valve talks out of school... - Falling Leaf Systems Forum

I haven't clicked that link yet, but might later when another free moment pops up...don't put much credit to pcworld...they are very much an anti-PC magazine now. PC meaning ibm pc compatible...anything running a windows variant.

You can read their junk, but hopefully you won't buy into it. Like Spin magazine who tries and tells you whats cool and what's not, read it...but please have your own objective thoughts ;)

I think those guys are nothing more than apple stockholders or something.

EDIT: I was going to make a new response but decided not to, hehe.

So I read that article, and nothing new from PCworld...same predictable spin they always give. Boy am I glad I can form my own opinions and conclusions. I have none of the issues those supposed knowledgeable and experienced pcworld staffers have.

UAC doesn't irritate me. And all my hardware works. 99.9% of my software works. And I'm not clinging to XP. There are 4 computers in my house, 2 that run XP home, 1 laptop with XP Media Center, and one new machine with Vista Ultimate. When I build another one, it too will have Vista, that I will purchase....because I like it and can run it. :D

I like Vista. Better than XP. Is there little things I don't care for? Yes. Most can same the same about there loved ones. Anyway, XP didn't get quite the heat as Vista because it was replacing a garbage OS. Ofcoarse Vista is going to get heat becuase it's replacing microsofts best OS to date. Vista will improve. Just like XP did. Just wait till 5 years from now when you can't find a puter with XP in it and VIsta releases it's second or third SP. Oh, and puters hardware runs
much faster. Vista's ahead of most people's hardware. That isn't microsofts fault. Blame Dell. They sell bottom of the line junk to everyone.

After reading both articles. I'm going to stick with my XP until Vista can work itself into a viable replacement. I just don't see it working for me (as a gamer) But I do like some of the functions, and eye candy, but just not the resource heavy everyday apps.

but what I do find kind of funny is that Office 2007 made that top 15 worst list as well... Go figure... XP Pro and Office 03, makes a nice combo for me.

I used to be anti Vista before I had a computer that could run it as fast as XP ran on my previous computers. I haven't had any issues with it thus far and it's just as fast as XP was for me. I mean yeah, it sucks that it requires so much computer to run it, but it does ok for me so far.

It's far from the best OS ever, I'll tell you that much.

There was not as many computers back then either.
True, but I think that's besides the point.

When XP came out.. sure, it wasn't perfect. It had its bugs. But it still was a step-up from 98, which is what the vast majority of windows users were on.

Vista, on the other hand, uses a lot more resources than XP (which makes it slower), to do the same things XP can already do perfectly fine. And it's buggier.

Well I am posting this from a laptop that up until 6 hours ago was running Vista home basic on 512mb of ram an a Celeron m 440 an a max of 128mb of shared graphics. It is now runing Linux an I must say it is smother an more efeciant but while I was running vista it wasn't fast or smooth but I liked it much better than XP yea sure it was slow but compared to XP in the early days it is far more stable I never had a BSOD with vista (I will admit I did little else than email an surf the web an not that often so I can only guess i was lucky) an the only compatibility problem I had was with a older printer, that was fixed in 5 min with a new driver download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom