Microsoft Commercial with Jerry Seinfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I saw the commercial as well watching the broncos game.. It was indeed retarded and unrelated to microsoft... WTF Bill Gates ~ Anyways he doesn't need commercials for people to know him. everyone KNOWS him whether apple has a better campaign or not. He's one of the richest men in the world, you really think he cares if apple has better marketing? Well i'm sure he does... but apparently doesn't have a very good marketing team. /apply marketing manager, lol...
He needs to compare apple to microsoft, because microsoft>apple imho, apple is annoying, seems less customizeable.. "GRANTED I have not owned or logged onto an apple computer since the the 10th grade." So I don't know how they've changed, but they were terrible.

You guys don't get it. That is the whole point of the ad itself. Up until this point there hasn't been any Microsoft ads at all. Know why? Because the product sells itself. The only reason they are doing this ad campaign is to 'up' the image of Microsoft. Not to sell more OS's, not to sell more software. The entire point is so the public gets a better view (more personable) of Microsoft as a company. That's why they don't say anything about Mac, Vista, Office, nothing, because it isn't about their products. It's just about making a stupid commercial to make you laugh - that is it.

Did you guys expect something hillarious about MS making fun of Mac? Think they've done enough in being 99% of the computers in the world, nough said. They just want to up their brand image, that is it, period.

There has been ads for Windows in the past. I remember vividly there being ads for either Windows 95 or 98.

YouTube - Windows 95 launch video 30s

There is a video for Windows 95 right there. So to say there has never been ads is off Lex. ;) They had to advertise big time back in the Windows 95 and 98 days cause it was not as popular as it is today. Back then IBM and Apple were the main PC Manufacturers and OS providers. Not Microsoft.

Plus they are not on 99% of the world. Mac has a 8% user hold in just the USA alone. ;)

Actually, the ad was good for Gates. While most people have heard the name, they know nothing about him. Even though Bill is no longer driving the redmond bus, he is still very much the figurehead of the company.

The ad was pretty stupid to me. I like Seinfeld, but he was no where near the top of his game in the commercial. Other than to give a warm tingly feeling followed by Vista's sound and image, the ad was basically a waste of air time.

Haha mak, well worldwide it is barely 3%, so... its less in the world market compared to the us, which you are right is about 8%.

You get my point, people think that it would be better than Mac's ads, or show something awesome. And well, lets be honest the Mac ads are freaking hillarious and ingenious and won't be outdone for a while. MS is just trying to combat some of the negative association people have been having with their brand.

I will say too that MS needs to be careful, as Mac has done an outstanding job to gain SOME of the market share back. And MS does need to take some action and create some products that rival Mac's.

I do have to commend microsoft for staying the high road. They could bash Apple like Apple has been bashing Windows and PCs for years, but didn't. That doesn't mean that future ads won't take this route, but I am hoping that they don't. There is plenty of negativity already on the airwaves... we don't need any more.

MS would do well if they used the ads to show people how Vista is like XP, only better. How they could do that with Jerry, I don't know. I can think of many other comedians/actors that would have been better choices, but they didn't ask me. For all we know, several others may have turned down the Empire of Gates before jerry took the job.

i think it's great what they are doing...

keeping it simple...
seinfeld is one of the most well known celebs in the world
gates is one of the most well known business men in the world

to me, these guys are top teir...and just by their mere association is an impressive thing. It's a quiet confidence thing ;)

It's great that Mr. Gates doesn't take himself as seriously as some other types. How many people do you know would have no issue flipping an ID of themselves, in their goofy adolescent years?

all in all, MS advertises their consumer products probably the least of any well established brand in existence. But this age is driven by viral videos and it's better to make everyone know what you're about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom