Microsoft Aust = SNOBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=37274&eid=4&edate=20060502

Microsoft a “no-show” at CeBIT
Microsoft has snubbed the Australian version of this yearÂ’s massive global IT trade show CeBIT.

Still, show organiser Hannover Fairs has managed to attract some big-name vendors that have previously declined to participate in the trade show which landed here in 2001.

For the first time, Telstra, Adobe, NEC, Unisys, Intel, IBM, Symbol, HP and Blackberry join a list of 700 companies exhibiting at the show next week, up from 600 last year, said Jackie Taranto, MD at Hannover Fairs A/NZ.

A spokesperson for Microsoft Australia said the company would not be at the show, instead focusing its resources on the forthcoming launches of Office 2007 and Windows Vista.

So far 18,000 people had pre-registered to attend with Hannover expecting 30,000 to walk through the door, Taranto said.

Given the extended break over Easter, Taranto said she was happy with the numbers that had pre-registered. She added that around 2400 people in the “channel market” had pre-registered to attend.

“If there wasn’t interest in the reseller market, you wouldn’t have companies like NEC coming in for the first time,” Taranto said.

Despite the cost of hiring the Convention and Exhibition Centre in Darling Harbour, Sydney increasing 20 percent in the past two years, Hannover had not made any changes to exhibitor pricing this year, Taranto said.

Any increase in exhibitor costs compared to last year were only based on the consumer price index (CPI), she said.

This year's CeBIT will focus heavily on technologies such as open source, wireless and mobile TV, Taranto said.

Around 20 vendors would also be exhibiting at an “open source” section of the show, she said.

They can not be bothered showing up to Australia's biggest IT Show because they rather be promoting Windows Vista and Office 2007. It's not like MS is stuggling for cash.

SNOBS!!!

However this is rather interesting considering that I was just reading that Vista might not be out until 2007 now.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104784 for those details

Wow you guys got snubbed! Bad move by M$ I'd say, Australia is a really big market for them, why would they risk upsetting so many people like that?

I guess they weighed it up and they found more profit in promoting Vista than showing up to it.

But couldn't they have promoted Vista there? That's what I don't understand. It's not that expensive to have a decent booth at an IT show so it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom