Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengHe

In Runtime
I personally think microsoft is a money hungry monopoly that destroys any sort of competition in its path. This results in the following effects. A.) Microsoft can sell massively overpriced software packages since it has no competition whatsoever, ex: Microsoft Excel has been sold for upwards of $200. You can get the same or a similiar program from a website like openoffice or something else. Abiword is just as good as Microsoft word, but do you know how much it cost $0. You know how much Microsoft word costs on its own, just to buy it. Look it up and you might be horrified. B.)Microsoft is able to sell worse quality computers for higher prices. If Microsoft had any sort of competition from its "supposed" rivals, then its computers would have to become smarter, faster, and cheaper, which is better for the consumer and everyone else. Microsoft so dominates the selling of computers (meant computers sold with Microsoft software) that it can threaten other governments with discontinuing their usage of Microsoft products, since 95% of all computers that are sold run off Microsoft. Recently the EU charged Microsoft with being a monopoly and making it impossible for other companies to be succesful in the field. They lost. Why? Because Microsoft is richer and has better lawyers then the EU. Is this right, I think not. For a computer company to be succesful in this day and age it literally has to be enabled with Microsoft software. C.)Because Microsoft is the standard in computer software viruses are planted largely in only Microsoft computers, and since Microsoft has many flaws they can easily exploit these flaws. That means that 95% of the population is vulnerable to the same viruses, which makes it much worse for the consumer. Everyy major virus in the last few years has been targeted toward Microsoft computers. This is not to say Microsoft computers don't have their good points, after all I use one myself, but the way that they manipulate the market place and cause a monopoly, which is illegal under United States law I believe is wrong and damaging to the consumer. It undermines law and presents us with little option but to buy their products, and in a free market economy like ours that just isn't right.

wow, a whole block of text..... no one will evne take the time to read that shit. You should have spaced out some stuff and made new paragraphs and what not. anywho, your thread has been done many times over, good try though.

i laugh in your face, HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I can't stand MS bashers. MS, along with other companies, made the computer world what it is today. And you ***** about overpriced products, HA! How many workers do you think worked on the porject and for how long? How much did MS pay them? Someone's got to feed them!!!

And don't throw any insecure windows bullshit at me cus ill keep on laughing at you. Functionality Rules over security. Second, people lacking the knowledge to lockdown their machine will ***** and ***** and ***** until they ****ing learn to make their computer secure.

grow the **** up, get some schooling, and make a ****ing difference. How did Bill Gates and MS start their revolution?

This is a topic that has been talked about alot.

Please, while you're discussing this topic, do not start flaming or throwing insults. That will make this thread magical because it will vanish into thin air.

Thanks for being civil!

Dave :D

csamuels said:
i laugh in your face, HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I can't stand MS bashers. MS, along with other companies, made the computer world what it is today. And you ***** about overpriced products, HA! How many workers do you think worked on the porject and for how long? How much did MS pay them? Someone's got to feed them!!!

And don't throw any insecure windows bullshit at me cus ill keep on laughing at you. Functionality Rules over security. Second, people lacking the knowledge to lockdown their machine will ***** and ***** and ***** until they ****ing learn to make their computer secure.

grow the **** up, get some schooling, and make a ****ing difference. How did Bill Gates and MS start their revolution?

"the computer world today" : A lot of money hungry companies willing to deceive and cheat the public just for that extra profit.

Truly dedicated software developers don't have to be paid big money to make good software.They do it for all of the computer users out there, noobs or techs, so that we can relize cost doesn't always equal performance.

"Funtionality rules over security" : Unless you never use the internet you should choose security and just because an OS or application isn't flowery and decorative doesn't mean it's better.:rolleyes:

I love this topic as it is hypocritical in nature. You bash a company for a product that they provide to the world, and you use it in support of that company. There are zealots and hypocrites in this world and it's fun to get them all in the same room and go at each other.
The company I work with uses Microsoft as it's primary platform. So as things go, we had a problem with our SMS setup and needed to have some help. So we used some of the consulting hours available to us and a Microsoft tech came to our site to help us out. Now although the guy was very knowledgeable on many things, he was a Zealot of Microsoft. To him it was the world. Now due to this being a rather large company dealing with many things, we do have UNIX and Linux in the office. That being said, we also have Linux and Unix Zealots. Well the day came when the paths of a Linux zealot and the Microsoft guy crossed. Not a pretty site as you could imagine.
Anyway my point:
Microsoft changed the face of the computer. From the time that 3.x hit the market to now; they have held the eyes of the world. This is a good and bad thing. Bad because they get all the heat for everything, good because it gives them free advertising.
The fact that Microsoft is a monopoly is only a small part of the problem. The real problem is that they have given idiots the ability to use a computer, and with that new found ability, they keep using Microsoft. If you gave all the idiots a Linux distro over Microsoft, there would only be a few that would remain willing to use it as it is not as easy as windows.
And guess what, there are more idiots out there then not and so what happens with Windows? Nothing.
The fact that you are complaining about a product you are using fits the situation wonderfully. Due to your lack of belief in your own argument, IÂ’m prone to call you hypocritical and look poorly on your argument. Now, I donÂ’t have a preferred OS my self. IÂ’m not fond of MicrosoftÂ’s practices either, but then again, IÂ’m happy that I have a machine that can do what it can.
My 2 centsÂ…

My brother develops red hat linux and its quite apparent that you do not know what you are talking about. The only reason Linux is "harder" to use than windows is because so many people have windows since microsoft decided to monopolize the market and take advantage of their vast budget. Microsoft has a deal with every single company that makes computers that THEIR OS is on EVERY COMPUTER. You can't walk 2 feet in any tech store without seeing a god damn windows sign.

Linux is comming around and is becomming a more widely used OS. With the creation of Wine and Wine-X and many other windows emulators there is no longer a break down in compatibility between windows and linux. We also see the inherent problems in security with the microsoft OS. In unix based systems we see that security is top priorty. Take for example windows making the super user of the computer the first person to make an account. Than it allows the user to forgo making a password. This allows any would be hacker/script kiddy to gain entrance ones machine much easier. Than to top it off, when one user is infected with a virus, it affects the whole OS. In Linux, when one user, as long as it is not the Super User, or root account, is infected, the virus is contained primairaly to that user and will not affect the rest of the system or the OS because it can't gain access to the OS's system files.

Also, in Linux and unix systems we see that viruses are much harder to contract. In windows when looking at an e-mail it many times is automatically assigned to open attachments and files, and photos. in Linux you have to go through many different prompts in order to just DL an attachment or let a picture be seen.

If you cannot figure out the newest linux releases where the GUI is pretty user friendly than i dunno wut to say. Linux is quite a system and can do much more, and is much safer than windows ever will be. There are just inherent flaws within the Windows OS that have already been solved by linux, people are just jaded by big business and how many commericials are out there for a certain product. People just do not want change therfore they stick with microsoft because "everyone else is using it" and the fact that microsoft is on every factory made computer out there. What is the last big outbreak of a Linux virus? Since when was there a worm that affected the thousands of computers running linux? Never. Because all hackers and coders know the security holes in Windows.

Well there is my 2 cents....

Just so you know, I do use several different Distros including Red Hat, Mandrake and Gentoo. They are all pretty nice, but one thing I continually find as an annoyance is that I don't have the shortcut keys that I have grown used to. I don't use a mouse unless I have to and I don't like learning a whole new set of keyboard shortcuts on each new release. Or even reassigning them. Another problem that i have is in the actual interface. I'll give the developers creadit cause they have made huge jumps in the past few years on their GUI's, but for the most part, it's not "User" firendly. The structure doesn't flow easy for the uneducated simpletons that use computers daily.
And yes this is due to Windows having been in place for a long time now, but that doesn't prohibit them from adapting the way it works to fit the end user.
Now I'm not bashing Linux, as I believe that it will supplant Microsoft eventually, but until they make their interface as adaptive as windows is, there will not be wide market use. Also, eventhough their is a way to make Linux act like Windows, It's not as intuitive as you want us to think.
I'm a computer tech. I do this stuff for a living, and I deal with people all the time. It's a very simple concept that Microsoft has perfected. Provide users with a way to work, play and have fun without very many problems, and they will buy your product every time.
Not that Linux doesnt' provide that, it's just more difficult to get to that point after having used something else for years. Who really wants to relearn all the tricks and ways of doing things?

Oh, and the Linux faults? Well that happend not to long ago and was pretty bad in it's own right.
Here is the info...
http://www.itweek.co.uk/News/1151296
There have also been a few Viruses to hit them as well. The funny thing about Viruses and Worms, who wants to write a worm that will only hit 100,000 computers, when you can do it on windows and hit 100,000,000 instead. It's all about where the press is going to come from.
but that is whole nother topic
All things have problems. It's not a perfect world and

"Agent: Microsoft!"

I've been asked to place my opinion, so i'll just keep it simple;
F********* Microsoft!!:angry: I just hate them! Sorry!:mad: :cool:

And just so you'd know, Microsoft is nothing more than a cheap rip-off of apple computer! Now who's the hypocrit Inaris?:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom