Memory prices skyrocketed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think regular old ddr has gone up a bit. I swear I got that same stuff 6 months ago for $220 or $240 and then there was a rebate. I think it's because AM2 and C2D systems use DDR2 and that's what everything is starting to switch over to.

yep its because am2 and the new c2d's need ddr2. supply in demand drives up prices.

j369852147412 said:
yep its because am2 and the new c2d's need ddr2. supply in demand drives up prices.

Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt there be less of a demand on old ddr sticks so the price should fall?
I dont get how supply in demand drives up the price.

OTOnly said:
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt there be less of a demand on old ddr sticks so the price should fall?
I dont get how supply in demand drives up the price.

Well seeing as how there is a much higher demand for DDR2, manufactures are switching from making DDR memory to DDR2 memory, i.e. there are less DDR supply, therefor prices will be higher.

j369852147412 said:

The push is to DDR2. At some point, if not already they will discontinue making DDR1. And focus on DDR2 and DDR3. This will leave DDR1 with what ever is left in the world. Hence the increased prices.

The price increase in a discontinued product makes you heavily consider upgrading the system platform doesn't it?

but since 939 and ddr are being phased out, prices should drop sometime soon right?

Not anytime relatively soon. Socket 939 and DDR are still alive and kicking, for at least (in my opinion) a good year. AMD is starting to phase out 939 for AM2 (then AM3 in a year), and DDR for DDR2, but it probably isn't going to happen any time soon. They are still making some money on the 939 boards, and they are going to continue until they aren't making enough money for it to be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom