The Mega-Company Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Well i just read that Nvidia may buy AMD thus also buying ATI. If so that is one huge powerhouse that will rule 3 out of the 4 major brands. By these brands i do mean:

AMD | NVIDIA | ATI | INTEL

Now, these are alot of 'ifs' and 'buts' but lets say the Nvidia deal went through and then a few years down the line Intel was bought (like i said, probably not gonna happen, but still.).

What do you think would happen? Remember one company now owns practically 100% of the hardware market... apocalypse?

It will be blocked. No way they will allow for nViida to control the whole GPU market.

But they wouldn't control it. You would still have Intel and VIA and ... oh, yeah, they would, too. :D

I wouldn't want to see it happen. While it might be great to have the best of both made into one, we would also have the hardware version of Microsoft's monopoly to edal with. We would have to take what we were offered or do without, and we would have to pay whatever they wanted to charge.

i haven't read anything on this...at home dialup :D
but in any event, I would not think it a wise decision for nvidia to do that, because it doesn't. though of course, if you want to just take up the slack to get the extra bits of profit, it makes sense. AMD/ATI is a lossing scenario currently and will continue to be so for about 2-4 more years?

if they buy it, hopefully it will be for a lot less...like maybe 2bil
:D

I still think Intel would more than match the new company... It would still only really have AMDs CPU design, as no one of the other companies have ever made a CPU, and Intels larabee promises to me a real destroyer... Maybe, it would be the first true rival of Intel, but it would by no means bring about their demise.

Intel dont really need Nvidia, IMO. As long as they keep churning out the most attractive CPUs for buyers, (and even if they dont, netburst still sold better than K8) and now that they will be incorparating GPUs into their CPUs, then thats like 98% of the market covered... CPUs and IGPs are much bigger business than discreet graphics.

And anyway, Intel are making Larabee, which seems to be a real powerhouse card, so they may blow away ATi and nV at their own games, and gain total market supremacy. I also couldnt see an Intel + nV merger deal ever being allowed anyway, TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom