Math skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold III

In Runtime
sorry I just come back for a little while cuz I need to figure something out. OK your opinion:

1. Math has a lot to do with talents

2. If you don't have the talents to study math, you won't be good at it.

3. Men are generally better at math and science than women.

how many of yall will agree with that?

3. Men are generally better at math and science than women.

hmmm..... if by that you mean naturally men are better at math and science, then i'll probably agree. but if that means even after being skewled and taught then no. if anyone wants to do good they just put their mind to it and their better.

i argee with 3 and 1 but 2???? I think math can be easly learned and you dont need to study math. If you pay attention in class and do all your homework i find studying doesn't help. And the only way to study math is look at a consept and then practice it. Sounds a lot like homework dont it?:beard: :amazed:
twisted mhmmhmhmh. just what i think though

I think the reason number two and three often apply is primarily lack of confidence. Without talent in math, chances are one will have to work hard to understand a concept someone with talent perceives automatically. This mostly causes a lack of confidence, which is needed to be good at math. Believing that math is hard (which it often really is) is a huge problem. Same thing for number three. By design of the male brain, I believe it is true that men are more likely to have talent in math then women. But that just calls back to the point I made about number two. Because women are not expected to be as good in math, they will not have the same confidence in the subject matter. Same goes for science and technology. The same actually can be applied to rewrite number one: Ability in math has a lot to do with talent and confidence.

By the way, personally, math and science and probably my most enjoyed academic subjects. Personal fascination and interest in the sciences extends away from my academic life.

I would disagree with all but #2. And even that, only partially.

Yes, math is something you have to study, but the thing about math is: its really all just memorization. It isnt something you really "learn" about, its something that you memorize what does what then youre asked to apply that knowledge to problems.

So yes, it takes a "talent" to know it, but IMO that talent is just good study habits. I think that anyone that does well in school can excel in math, it just takes a different approach.

This is coming from someone who started Calc in 4th grade...

Shrapnill said:
I would disagree with all but #2. And even that, only partially.

Yes, math is something you have to study, but the thing about math is: its really all just memorization. It isnt something you really "learn" about, its something that you memorize what does what then youre asked to apply that knowledge to problems.

So yes, it takes a "talent" to know it, but IMO that talent is just good study habits. I think that anyone that does well in school can excel in math, it just takes a different approach.

This is coming from someone who started Calc in 4th grade...

I agree with shrapnil. but I still want to wrap up his words into a more basic way:)

when I was in china, math was 10 times tougher than here in US. Not because we start calc in 4th grade but we did a lot of devious and tough problems. One of my math teacher said: want to let your students be good at math? Test them, tests after tests. In other words she's saying that math is all about practice, and of course practicing brings about stable memory.

As I observed, people that are at top of class ranks usually don't favor math or humanitiy over each other. In other words, they are good at both. therefore we can't tell whether talents make a lot of difference. Also the difference between male brain and female brain to too small to overwhelm the effects of culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom