In the market for HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i found probably the best deal out there, my dad. He bought a 32" sharp aquos a while back, it's 1080p ect and is a nice set. Problem is it didn't fit where our old TV was in the living room, so it had to go into his bedroom. Well our house is kinda wierd, and his bedroom is on the large size (i know larger than the living room, kinda wierd) So it's not really working too well in there, it's abut 14 ft from the TV to the bed. So he may get me a good deal on it, maybe something around 400 to 500 so that he can move up to a bigger one. This is the model he has AQUOS widescreen lcd television | LC-32D62U

silly kids ;)

I prefer lcd, but get whatever YOUR eyes prefer.

Example, some like deeper blacks of dlp, but it looks like bicycle reflectors to me.
Plasma has the superior brightness and color saturation but has a short shelf life because it's gas.

LCD - just go with this for now...you'll be able to finder "cheaper" sets that use flourescent tubes...or if you want, go higher and look for the sets that use LEDs as their light source.

I would say oleds have about 10-15 years until their price/performance settles down into the normal range.

if you have money, get this:
XEL-1 | OLED Digital TV | Sony | SonyStyle USA

just for wow factor, it's tiny :D

there is a lot of tv tech out there now...just take a little time to know what's what and if it matters to you or not.

this probably won't be in your buying choices, but there is FED, field emissive displays
Sonys Field emission company want to roll out 60 inch FED-TV | OLED-TV|Laser-TV|SED|Display|FED|

the above will most likely be superior to all and come to market for consumers

---

there is also the Hz rating for the new tvs...with 120 being the target number. Also look into that aspect. (although, some people will swear not to need 120hz and see no difference...these again, are most likely the type that said 720p is superior to 1080i...doesn't quite make much sense) :D

don't forget to give LG a try
Amazon.com: lg

do searches like these:
120hz vs 60hz and 24p - Live Search
(i put in the 24p thing as an additional query)

here's a good post to read:
To go 120hz or not to go? that is the question... - Page 3 - AVS Forum

lesser known brands that are up and comers that are also decent, are Syntax and Vizio.
syntax lcd - Live Search
vizio lcd - Live Search

Lol, 1080i sux. seeing half of the detail you normally would at any one time.. right then.

720p is ok, but it's still not much better than 1080i

^ lol
you're not suggesting you have bionic eyes are you? can pass a "discern progressive vs interlace" test 100%?

:D

humans can only perceive the difference if they pause the image...moving...not quite
I would like to perform moving image tests...and see if you pass, hehe

I would pass. Because i could tell it wasnt 1080p detail constantly... and it would be pretty equal to 720p :p

Thanks,
Oreo

No, it doesn't. Our TV is only 720p too - but as our digital tv service only transmits 720p theres not alot of point unless we have a Blu Ray player, which we don't/

turboHD from Dishnetwork...
might get it :p

I need a NEW winner in the HD optical disc realm so I can buy some discs...I don't think blu-ray is it...although I have nothing against it and would LIKE to buy them...feh

:)

me personally, i am going to wait to buy blu-ray media when the players are 9.99 after a $10 MIR on a black friday.

right now, my enormous dvd collection and my up-converter do the trick just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom