Making a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZeroShade said:
How would I go about making my own server? The more detail the better I'll know.

I hate it when people ask me this question.

What sort of server it is?

How many people are you supporting? (5, 10, 15, 25, More)

How much data through put will you be requiring? (IDE, SATA, SCSI hard drives)

What sort of Fault Tolerance to you require?
- IDE, SATA, SCSI hard drives
- Raid?
- DVD, Tape back up

How much down time can you afford if some thing goes wrong?
How mission critical is this server? Like it takes about 4 - 5 hours to get a server up and running again. And that is before we start worrying about accounts?
Or will you been needing another Mirror server?

How much money are you ready to spend?
At the end of the day, It's all about the benjamins. :money: :money: :money:

If you are using a primary pc as your server , i wouldnt bet on everthing being secure , you basicaly letting hackers (crackers for you picky people :p) in , your better off either getting a pc purly for that purpose , so using your notebook would not be best

(sorry about double posting) I forgot getting some free hosting and subdomain would be better in my opinion 50webs i know is only a small amout of space but atleast you can access pretty much 24/7 , oh and you also get a free subdomain (or just pm me if you want some space on our servers , if it means the world im sure i can sort something out ;))

Since you are just a home user, almost any computer will work for your needs. Nothing high tech unless you do have the money or want to learn about the server side of an operating system.

You want to put it on your laptop? I would suggest getting a different pc this way you can actually see what a true server can offer you. You can build your own domain for free, just build you an AD (DCPROMO)

Id suggest 2003 Server R2, there are so many features to list and learn. I'm not sure what you mean by testing PHP on it but cant you do it on the server itself of AD?

The basic, you know 200Gig HDD, 1 Gig ram or so, etc. Nothing huge, you need 64gigs of ram or 10 TB of storage. I would setup raid either to lean it or testing purposes.

Or better yet, the fastest and cheapest VMWare :) Build you a virtual network one for AD, one for Exchange if you wanted to, one a file server, apps server, database server, etc etc.

The make a FTP site, pretty neat stuff there and also IIS.

Not sure if this is any help toward your direction but this is my 2 cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom