Mail in Rebates : Why I hate them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
It seems nowadays you can't purchase anything computer related without getting involved in some type of rebate. Obviously the Retailers instant rebates are great. The value of the rebate comes right off retail price before checkout. This is nice. It's the manufacturer mail in rebates that I hate. These rebates are such a gimmick, the manufacturer is offering them to make it seem like the retailer is selling their product at a much lower price. But in fact, they offer them because they are counting on the end users laziness to not mail in the claim. Which many, many people do not. They simply just don't mail in the claim, forget about the rebate or screw up the rebate all together.

There are so many stipulations with mail in rebates too.

If you don't follow the exact instructions of the rebate, they have the right to reject your claim and then it becomes void. They want original sale receipts, mulitple UPC codes from boxes, their rebate form must be filled out like a legal document and they normally only give you like 30 days. And if you purchase an item with a mail in rebate with only a week left on the offer, what happens when you mail it in and then you need to RMA the product to the retailer? Now you have the box without UPC codes. Not good.

Here are my last two mail in rebate claims: Retailer newegg.com

1.) $40.00 mail in rebate from Thermaltake from ThermalTake Shark case. Valid until August 31st. I got the case on August 5th and put the items for the rebate in the mail, postmarked on August 10th. Today November 15th I received my $40.00 check from ThermalTake. That's 98 days from mailbox to mailbox. Also it's a total of 69 business days or over 12 business weeks. This is absolutely unacceptable, with-in the allowance of 6 to 8 weeks.

2.) $20.00 mail in rebate from Western Digital from WD Raptor 74GIG HDD. Vaild also through August 31st. I go the HDD on August 5th and put the items from the rebate in the mail postmarked on August 10th. I received the $20.00 check on September 28th from Western Digital. That's 50 total days from mailbox to mailbox. 36 business days or about 7 business weeks. This is with-in the return allowance of 6 to 8 weeks.

They are a pain in the ass, but at least it sounds like you are on top of it enough to actually mail them in, even if they're are slow to honor it.

I always send them in as well. Even though they are slower than hell, it can make for some pretty good deals. I think my best one was for a pack of 250 CD's. They were $20, with a $20 mail in rebate. I sent it in, got the rebate, they were free :D

As far as them being slow, I just had my worst experience with that. I bought a hard drive from Fry's, a 160gb with a $60 mail in rebate. It made the cost like $60 net. I sent that thing in like 3 months ago, and I just, this last week, got the **** thing in the mail. :mad:

I prefer instant rebates. Mail-in rebates I try to avoid; however, if I do somehow manage to unintentionally get one then you better believe I'll send it in.

I had a $25 rebate for a raptor....mailed it in november of last year and got it in february of this year or so I believe....that crap is indeed ridiculous.

But I guess it's like you forget about it then bam you got $25 all of a sudden but I'd rather have it instantly

I know that the mail in rebates are a pain the ass. But for me as some one working in a computer store, it does make the competition a little easier to deal with.

Eg. I don't sell a lot in the way of PDAs. (Nor am I interested in doing so). From time to time, HP will bundle a FREE PDA with a Notebook Computer. The free PDA comes via the distribution channel. And all of a sudden I am competing with some one that is unbundling the PDA from the notebook and selling the notebook as AU$200 under my cost price as the competitor knows he will make the money on the PDA instead.

Same can be put on Free Ram and Free MS Office Basic.
Athough I have seen that some Free MS Office Basic is hard corded to the Notebooks BIOS.

Over all, I don't mind it. However i can understand the end user fustration.

Mind you. Some of the rebates our there are useless.

Eg. Unreal Tornament 2004 US$10 Rebate if you all ready owned a copy of Unreal Tornament 2003. I was about to send in for this when I released that is costs me AU$15 to cash in a US Cheque.

The mail in rebate that I am currently not happy with is the following the Quicken Quick POS Retail Starter Kit.

One the good side, the Free cash drawer, Free thermal receipt printer and Free barcode scanner is about AU$900 on computer hardware that they are giving way for free.
http://www.quicken.com.au/BusinessFinance/QuickBooksPOS/specialoffers.aspx

One the bad side, it take at least 2 weeks to process this. And this is after you have installed and activated both your software.

This is not so bad if your store has not opened up yet, as you are normally spending those 2 weeks keying in all your inventory. However if are an existing store owner wanting to make sales, you have this point of sale system sitting idol for about 2 weeks as we wait for the Free cash drawer, Free thermal receipt printer and Free barcode scanner to show up from Quicken.

And as a POS system consultant, it screw me around as I really would like to test all the hardware (including the Free cash drawer, Free thermal receipt printer and Free barcode scanner) before installing it out on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom