Lorry pushing car along the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that there is one news paper online that is offering $$$ for any one calling in if they where the driver of the car or the lorry.

Turns out that the lorry did finally stop and the driver of the car was unharmed.

I was so confused when I read the title. I had no idea what a lorry was. Now that I've seen that clip, I think that's pretty wicked. With the flat front like that it's hard to grasp how the driver couldn't see that car. I've driven a few semis that have an actual hood, and if you get close to a car, some of it disappears, but the whole thing? Crazy.

Here is an update on the story.

A vet screamed "I'm going to die" as the car she was in was shunted sideways along the motorway by a lorry, she said.

Rona Williams' Renault Clio became trapped under the front bumper of the tanker as she drove along the A1(M) and was pushed along at 60mph until the driver finally noticed her.

The accident was filmed by a passenger in a car travelling on the same stretch of motorway near Leeds, and released on YouTube last week.

Mrs Williams, 31, of York, emerged from the ordeal uninjured but said she was terrified the Arclid Transport HGV would ram her into the crash barrier and kill her so she tried calling for help on her mobile phone.

She told the Daily Mail: "I just screamed at the operator 'I''m going to die, I'm going to die - can you do something?'

"She tried to calm me down but there wasn't really anything she could do at the end of the phone."

Mrs Williams had only joined the motorway 10 minutes away from her vet's surgery in Garforth when her car was clipped by the lorry and twisted sideways, trapping it under the front bumper.

In a bid to release her vehicle. she pulled on the handbrake and flashed her hazard lights to try to catch the driver's attention, as well as that of any other road users, but it took the lorry driver nearly a minute to notice her.

When he did he was "all over the place", Mrs Williams said, and finally managed to bring both vehicles to a stop on the hard shoulder. The driver did not seem too worried about what had happened, Mrs Williams said, and "he even asked if I thought he needed to hang around".

Arclid Transport said it was currently investigating the incident and West Yorkshire Police are also looking into the crash.

Vet relives horror lorry shunt - Yahoo! News UK

I think the driver is quite funny asking if he can carry on his journey.

WTF? How did he not see, or hear the car being pushed? let alone to initial moment where the car became pinned? This guy should seriously be fired.

Having actually been involved in an accident with a truck of that size it really scares me to know these people drive around without enough common sense to know there is a car attached to their grill. Seriously, that's an extra couple thousand pounds. Screeching, the friction, her screaming, seeing it?!....I just don't get it. How could he drive and not notice that a car was there....

I can see the driver not knowing.. the car only weight 1280kg, and with the pavement wet, it'd slide right easy, and them trucks wuldn't even notice the extra weight.

My only question is how'd it start, as theres no realfront end damage, so it was a low speed event.

^how could he not hear the grinding againts the grill and the car? the horn of the car, the screaming, the noise of the tires sliding, the smoke from the tires, the initial impact, makes no sense.

There was no smoke off the tires and when wet, doubt there'd be tire squeel, and it didn't seem to have any grinding...

You'd definately not hear the screaming.. he sits on his engine, so that'd be noisy to begin with, along with the wind noise.

Now, like you said, how it got stuck there is the main intrest...

^just because the road is wet would not make the friction soundless, there would be plenty of noise from it, also, the tires would still be burning somehwat from the friction, there would be a bit of smoke, although that might be seen over the water vapour in the air, the screaming and horn maybe not,, and the noise of the tired as i didn;t think about the noise of the engine. There was deffinitely grinding though, there were sparks in the video after all. Although any type of bends in the hwy he should ahve noticed the decreased turning capability, but maybe he did, maybe thats how he noticed the car was there lol.

But your right, the main thing is the initial contact, and how exactly the car started to be pushed, how could you not notice something like that?

^just because the road is wet would not make the friction soundless, there would be plenty of noise from it, also, the tires would still be burning somehwat from the friction, there would be a bit of smoke, although that might be seen over the water vapour in the air, the screaming and horn maybe not,, and the noise of the tired as i didn;t think about the noise of the engine. There was deffinitely grinding though, there were sparks in the video after all. Although any type of bends in the hwy he should ahve noticed the decreased turning capability, but maybe he did, maybe thats how he noticed the car was there lol.

But your right, the main thing is the initial contact, and how exactly the car started to be pushed, how could you not notice something like that?

If you read the story it says that the car got clipped by the wagon just after it joined the motorway and thats how it got caught in the front of the lorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom