Looking for a consolidated data storage/back-up/access solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
ouch no no no to HP SANs I've heard lots of horror stories with those. EMC SANs FTW!!!!!

The Proliant he is talking about isn't a SAN, it's a compact server built around AMD mobile processors that should be a great choice for a file server.

I know and HP servers are a no no as well.... HP is a no-no.

I've never heard anything that bad about their servers. I can't image they would have such a large chunk of the market if they were that awful, reliability tends to be very high up the list of requirements for any server.

it's because they're cheap.

supermicro and dell are better

supermicro blade servers (64+ cores per blade 12-18 blades per chassis) and an EMC SSD or SAS SAN (using Cisco load balancers and Vmware cloud) are pwnage.

it's because they're cheap.

supermicro and dell are better

supermicro blade servers (64+ cores per blade 12-18 blades per chassis) and an EMC SSD or SAS SAN (using Cisco load balancers and Vmware cloud) are pwnage.

Yeah but that setup would be well into the 5 figure range and beyond the needs of a home user. He just needs a low power file server running something like WHS or FreeNas and the HP fits the bill perfectly.

kidding right? HP with windows home server? windows home server 2011 got rid of drive extender (why most home users even got the OS), and other features.

Drive Extender removal

On 23 November 2010, Microsoft announced that Drive Extender would be removed from Windows Home Server 2011.[13] This announcement has led to "astonishment and outrage" from testers and users.[14] Criticism of Drive Extender's removal is mainly related to it being seen as a core feature of Windows Home Server and a key reason for adoption. Windows Home Server 2011 developer Michael Leworthy expressed concern that the implementation of Drive Extender might lead to "data error issues.”[15]

HPs have crappy hardware and mobos that go south easy.

they are the lowest end PC and even HP spun off thier PC division. they don't even like thier consumer business end it's that bad.

best to build thier own server or

If they want a pre-built server and don't want to build thier own....

I recommend getting a cheaper dell poweredge server off ebay (1 or 2 socket 4 core xeons and 6-12GB of RAM can be had for as little as 350-550 but one issue they have loud PSUs and aren't the best looking) and 90% of that is stock from co-location datacenters, so those servers are in good shape and some even come with racks!!!!

dell poweredge server | eBay

there are a few that even come with MS SBS licenses!!!!

remixedcat:1930846 said:
kidding right? HP with windows home server? windows home server 2011 got rid of drive extender (why most home users even got the OS), and other features.

Drive Extender removal

On 23 November 2010, Microsoft announced that Drive Extender would be removed from Windows Home Server 2011.[13] This announcement has led to "astonishment and outrage" from testers and users.[14] Criticism of Drive Extender's removal is mainly related to it being seen as a core feature of Windows Home Server and a key reason for adoption. Windows Home Server 2011 developer Michael Leworthy expressed concern that the implementation of Drive Extender might lead to "data error issues.”[15]

HPs have crappy hardware and mobos that go south easy.

they are the lowest end PC and even HP spun off thier PC division. they don't even like thier consumer business end it's that bad.

best to build thier own server or

If they want a pre-built server and don't want to build thier own....

I recommend getting a cheaper dell poweredge server off ebay (1 or 2 socket 4 core xeons and 6-12GB of RAM can be had for as little as 350-550 but one issue they have loud PSUs and aren't the best looking) and 90% of that is stock from co-location datacenters, so those servers are in good shape and some even come with racks!!!!

dell poweredge server | eBay

there are a few that even come with MS SBS licenses!!!!

I know the new version of WHS doesn't have drive extender but with a proper raid setup it shouldn't be necessary. Plus I did mention free nas witch is a good option as well.

Those poweredge servers are loud, hot and could easily suck 5x the power of that HP. Plus dual quad cores is absurd overkill for a home file server, a atomic or zacate dual core is more appropriate.

HP's consumer systems are cap but that has nothing to do with their enterprise products. The fact is the Proliant micro server suits his needs much better than a 8 core system.

if they are gonna be doing a lot of video streaming you need lots of power for that though. or you get buffering and chopping like realplayer.

most home servers people get for streaming videos

if the op needs help with that i can even help him build a flash/html5 video streaming server that will even work on mobile devices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom