Looking for the best point and shoot digital camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My girlfriend's camera isn't available anymore because it belongs to her mother. With her living at college and being a picture freak, she's been taking pictures like crazy. With her having no camera, she's got nothing to capture memories of college.

So, I'm going to get her a camera. Think of it like this. I just need a dispoable camera, that can hook up to a computer, with pretty good image quality.

I have my heart set on the Sony Cybershot S40. It's a 4.1 megapixel 3x optical zoom camera. The body style on it felt very sturdy (great for when she may drop it). Wal mart sells it brand new for 125. I can't find anything else better that possibly compares to it, but figured I'd ask anyway.

On top of that, I want to get some memory for the camera too. I did an ebay search of "s40 memory stick" and got this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-W5-W7-V3-R...ryZ48527QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That particular kind of memory stick, what "kind" is it? I went on newegg and I don't understand what the difference is between pro duo and ms duo and all that sh*t. :(

I have a CyberShot and I love it. Very easy to use and it takes amazing photos.
I have a 512mb Sony Memory Stick PRO and as far as I know, the Memory Stick PRO is the Memory stick pro. I've never heard of Pro Duo and Ms Duo.....

While the A520 and A610 are both great cameras, they're more than what I need here. I mean, they're nice point and shoot cameras, but this Sony Cybershot S40 can do everything she needs + more.

I've never heard of the memory stick pro duo or ms duo either, until I went to newegg.com. Kind of confusing. :confused:

Now I'm leaning towards the Nikon 4600. At least with a company like Nikon, I won't have any fear in buying it... plus, high reviews speak highly of it anyway.

Accepts SD cards, 4.0 mpx, 3x optical zoom, pretty durable, cost less than 160 @ staples.

When I was looking more into the Sony S40, I was reading about a lot of problems with the lens. Apparently most people said it had cheap glass and would crack easily. Uh, yeah. Don't think so now.

Overall it would run me about 180 for the camera + a 128 mb SD card. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order this later tonight, assuming that I don't get anymore convincing replies. :)

I just got a Canon IXUS 750 (known as the Canon Powershot SD550 in the US) its a 7.1 megapixel point and shoot camera with some great extra features... manual shutter control, colour swapper, colour targetting, great quality video... and its nice and small too!

I'd really recommend it.. but have no idea how much it would cost over there and i'm too lazy to look!

I like my Sony Cybershot. Took it to Germany with me, and it takes amazing pictures. I would recommend getting a Cybershot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom