Long Term Hardware Planning - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Question Long Term Hardware Planning

Just wondering how every one else here plans out there long term IT Purchases. Do have a planned life cycle for your computer, or it's more of a spir of the moment thing.

Effectively, I am 4th Generation of computer hardware now. And since about my 2nd Gen Computer (AMD 233) onward, I pretty much planned out my computer upgrades over a long term.

And after about 4 Genations of computers I pretty much worked out that i have 4 major computer expendatures.

1. UPGRADE CPU and MOTHERBOARD
2. UPGRADE VIDEO CARD
3. UPGRADE CPU
4. UPGRADE VIDEO CARD again

The above process is about a 4 year cycle, and i do these purchases just before tax time too.

With my motherboard, I DO try to see if I can get upgrade the CPU on it at least once, how ever i know that does not always work out. Currently I am waiting for the AMD 3200 to come down to AU$100 mark. And from there, I am just going to max out that bit of technology before going up the AMD Athlon 64.

As for Video cards, I try to make sure that they last me about 2 years before I need to upgrade them. I am always purchasing some thing that is about middle of the range.

As for everything else with my computer purchsaes, it more of a spir of the moment. Hard drives are a case of when do I need more space. Ram is when the price is right. And monitors is more of a case of when did the last one blow up. However, monitors i do expect to get a least 5 years out of them.

Anyways, that is how i plan out my hardware puchases, how do you plan yours?

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

I will just upgrade as I need it really, I don't really have a set schedule to do it.

250GB Western Digital
200GB Western Digital
2 DVD Burners
Apevia 500W PSU
XION Solaris Case
XFX GeForce 8600GT
Hanns·G HG-191RP 19" 2ms Widescreen LCD
Ubuntu, Windows XP

Acer Aspire 5570-2609
Old 04-16-2004, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I usually upgrade when it breaks... replace hard drive here...throw in more Ram... New mother board/CPU/MeM.....

are you talking about home computers or business computers?
Old 04-16-2004, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally posted by asupertech
are you talking about home computers or business computers?
lol
my home computer is a business computer.

Actually, i am talking for your home computer.

Even if I was not working when i am, I would prolly still plan out what i am purchasing so I can max out life and performance. I would still see if can get 2 CPU before upgrading the board. Basically BANG for BUCK at the end of the day.

Right now, I am waiting for the price of the AMD Athlon 3000 or 3200 to drop down to about $100 (or less). I am going to get one, and put into pyzchob!+c#, and the run that Motherboard and processor into the ground before i go to AMD Athlon 64 Bit.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 04-16-2004, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't play much games anymore (since I focus more on working with professional apps), but system performance is still quite important to me.

Power Supply - Whenever the opportunity comes (e.g. falling prices), I usually try to grab as much as I can

Case - When I seriously need to switch to BTX.

Motherboard - I may be considering upgrading soon, but these usually last anywhere from one to two years in my machine.

CPU - Usually once every year; my Athlon XP 2000+ has been with me for two years now and still is pretty fast to this day.

RAM - Whenever prices fall, I always try to grab the opportunity.

Graphics card - Only when I seriously need a new one. I used a TNT2 up until 2001 until I finally said screw it, I'm getting a GeForce2. The same event progressed the following years.

Hard Drive - Whenever I feel like I need more storage, or if one dies.

Optical Drives - When it dies.

Monitor - Until it dies, or if I seriously feel the need for more desktop real estate.

Keyboard/Mouse - When it dies.

Modem/NIC - When it dies, or when Gigabit Ethernet becomes the pure standard.

Printer - When it dies.

I judge you when you use poor grammar.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I don't plan, in advance, my purchases for my computer but I will shop around until I find the absolute lowest price possible.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to RyanOldw83

I say if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I dont really upgrade either, i just build a whole new system about every 8-10 months.

Closed Thread