Lol, needs more work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I suppose since we're doing that.....

http://www.27thavenue.com/shop/images/SiaCNubius.wma

I got to record this in the $2 million dollar studio here at the school and using about $15,000 in mics. The guitar was CRAP.....absolute crap so considering that I thought it turned out pretty decent. His strings would fret out and buzz to no end.....PIECE OF CRAP.

Downloaded and listening to yours general. I'll report back shortly :D

General - was pretty good dude. I dug it. As with most bands the part that seemed to be lacking the most was the drums in the sense that in some places it seemed like he was slightly off beat with the rest of the song...and I do mean very SLIGHTLY plus it's hard to pick up a good bass drum sound.

Overall though it was quite good, although at the 3:30 mark when everything started to go crazy it just seemed like too much was going on and there wasn't enough seperation in the song and just sounded kind of like a mess. At 4:40-4:45 theres some clipping going on in the left side.

BTW - the only reason I'm even going into that kind of criticism is because I'm practicing to train my ear to listen for EVERYTHING in a song and analyze the crap out of it. I have to since I'm going into the audio field so just take it as a student of audio engineering doing his best to truly listen to a song, not just some internet a-hole who's trying to rip it apart :)

:D The off-beat ness was hard to deal with, especially since our drummer isn't too great.

Lol, the clipping around 4:45 is on purpose. :p

But yeah, the 3:30 part works a lot better live, so I must agree.

Edit: Just listened to yours, it was fantastic. Nothing else to say about it. :)

The off-beat ness was hard to deal with, especially since our drummer isn't too great.
Totally agree....once upon a time long ago when I was in a quote unquote "band" the drummer was the hardest part to get in sync.

But yeah, the 3:30 part works a lot better live, so I must agree.
No doubt. I've come to learn that as you record things it's hard to get that seperation needed to hear each instrument as it's own instead of having it sounding just kind of mixed.

Lol, the clipping around 4:45 is on purpose.
I know you guys are letting it ring out and whatnot but it's only like...2 or 3 little spots where it crackles and with it only being in the left ear it seemed out of place, but I'll take your word for it :p

Thank you for your kind words about mine. Much appreciated. They said "do you have a second part"....I said "nope, sure dont" to which they just replied "Well put one to it" lol....so it was a rather impromptu occurance.

It's too bad they didn't save the piano I had done about an hour and half earlier. It came out sounding really good since I can play the particular song I played, flawlessly which I can't say about the guitar.

I was there when they made those songs. They wrote the second song like 3 days ago and just through it out there to see what it would sound like. The recording is from a USB digital recording thingy and cheap mics, so you really cant blame them for that. Their sound while actualy in the room is much better and i do believe he said that they needed a lot of work to do on that song.

As for the second one, well they worked on it a bit and recorded it many times to make it sound better. They are also a new band :] so they still need alot of work. I believe most of the critism you guys are giving are from not really liking him which is not fair in his case :/

For his live sound thingy you are kind of being a hypocrit on that. If his specialty is live then obviously he wouldn't know anything about studio ;) This is also his play around band that he dosen't expect anything from. Something to do and is more like a "jam" in any case.

iharthdarth said:
I was there when they made those songs. They wrote the second song like 3 days ago and just through it out there to see what it would sound like. The recording is from a USB digital recording thingy and cheap mics, so you really cant blame them for that. Their sound while actualy in the room is much better and i do believe he said that they needed a lot of work to do on that song.

As for the second one, well they worked on it a bit and recorded it many times to make it sound better. They are also a new band :] so they still need alot of work. I believe most of the critism you guys are giving are from not really liking him which is not fair in his case :/

For his live sound thingy you are kind of being a hypocrit on that. If his specialty is live then obviously he wouldn't know anything about studio ;) This is also his play around band that he dosen't expect anything from. Something to do and is more like a "jam" in any case.

Ok sure they used a cheap mic and they obviously needed to practice it but the fact of the matter is the first one is absolutley horrible no questions asked.

Nubius said:
No doubt. I've come to learn that as you record things it's hard to get that seperation needed to hear each instrument as it's own instead of having it sounding just kind of mixed.

Pan, EQ (subtractive), Delay.

iharthdarth said:
For his live sound thingy you are kind of being a hypocrit on that. If his specialty is live then obviously he wouldn't know anything about studio ;)

If he knows how to mic in live setups, he knows 90% of how to mic in a studio. No excuse

Half of the critisism wouldn't be on this thread if P.P. wasn't banned. But of course, I am only stating the obvious, I mean if someone who was respected screwed up and isn't in the position they used to be in, our job as fellow members is to beat them up about it, right?

I really didn't hate the song at all. The high quality songs by professionals are recorded with millions of dollars worth of equipment, this was recorded using a cheap mic.

He obviously didn't post this to impress people with it's quality, if he wanted quality, he wouldn't use a USB mic. Thats pretty good for a new band.

I bet he used one of them cheap USB thumb drive recorders... Our school got a few for our multimedia class so the students could record comments from people to use later. Well the quality was terrible, crackling and everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom