Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
Ok...so Mr. Windows XP Pro is the shiznat has decided to try linux.

there has been a million and 1 threads on the best linux distro. But right now, all I have is a p1 200mghz (smoking system)

What would y'all reccomend for me, I tend to learn pretty fast, and i have a good way of finding out problems im stuck on.

so once again, what would you reccomend, and where can I acquire it from? I have heard so many people ramble on about different ones.

cheers guys!

get it from www.ditrowatch.com

also, just look through all of the different ones on that site and then you can decide which is best for you.

my personal favs are redhat and mandrake

You could try Fedora (It's RedHat Linux. They are going all commercial and enterprise servers with the RedHat label, but they're still gonna create a free open version. They are just changing the name to Fedora)

You can go to http://fedora.redhat.com/ to get all of the info, downloads etc...

Just do a search for Linux Tutorial and you'll find loads of stuff.

i have a question. i want to install linux on my current computer and keep xp. what do i do

k, i want a decent OS, not just one that looks flashy, I want it to be able to do what I want, but be an allround stable OS. I dont care about the looks, its the things that make it so much better than windows that i want to get out of linux.

I will look into fedora.

If you have a system that will run XP, then check out Mandrake 9.2. It looks nice and is real easy to use.

Allright, I managed to get ahold of a 333 with 128 ram - I am now downloading Fedora

This can be like a reality TV show - Windows Guy goes Linux...

Lets see what all the hype is about. Mind if I keep this post going and a some questions along the way? Perhaps even inspire people to follow my steps?

bandage_boy said:
i have a question. i want to install linux on my current computer and keep xp. what do i do

You can dualboot. Most times, when installing Linux you can repartition the drive for a Windows partition and a linux partition. It will probably ask you if you want to setup a bootloader, which asks you when you boot up what OS to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom