Life of an outcast geek...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Life of an outcast geek...

beedubaya said:
Thats the problem...there are NO computer clubs in my area. There are people who role play with like D&D and stuff, I've tried to join but they wont let me because I'm "not in the clique." Pretty much the only interest anybody in my area has is drinking and drugs, which I don't want to get involved in. There are a few people who are not, but like I said above, they are total snobs.
Well, the other thing that I can suggest is that you give yourself a really really good self assestment on why you are an outcast and why you don't like the other people around you and why the other people around you don't like you. And then from there work on your personality to improve it. You might not like it what you see. But it some thing to work on.

I did one my self many many years back. I found that a lot of people did not like me because of my temperment. The other problem was that i was always looking at the negative side of things, and because of that, I was constantly depressed.
So I made some changes in the way that I look out on the world. Hence the reason why I say things like "Every Day I A New Day" or "Behind All Dark Clouds Is A Blue Sky" every morning.
I have learn a few things like "Getting angry at a situation does not fix it".
I even changed jobs. And I am now a much better person that what i was a few years back.
VIII, NeoExtreme and Hygor as some reather useful suggestions.

hygor said:
At the end of the day you must have something in common with other people.
Exactly. Surely computers is not the ony thing that you are interested in....
Like surely there much be other clubs at your collage?
Anime?
Sci Fi?
Comic Books?
Skate Boarding?
Spiritiality / Religion?
Sexual Orientation?
Okay, the last one is might be only suitable if you are beyond the age of consent, but I have met freinds and aquantances during my time at the Sydney Hell Fire Club few years back.

Surely there must me more to do than just Computers. And if they are not there, join up with what ever youth club that might be avalable.

How big and what kind of university is it? Where do you live? Dorms are a great place to make freinds. Try and be ok going out of your comfort zone, go do something dumb with people if invited. My roomate and I were the first ones to introduce ourselves on our floor and now we are the ringleaders. We go to the 13th floor Tamarack and throw pumpkins and VCR's out the window and run. We scoot around campus looking for security so they can chase us and sometimes we get busted and our names get in the paper. We went to a rock quarry pond with a ropeswing and we had an illegal fire and blew up Sobe bombs. Get in trouble, dont worry about it. You dont have to do drugs and drink to have fun, I dont.

Dont be afraid to try something new, people love someone who is willing to try things. Exciting things bring out the daring in people. Dont think about what other people think, especially dont waste your time on people who care too much about that crap. I was friends with everyone in highschool, skaters, hics, Knowledgebowlers, band kids, and mostly jocks and their type. Just be different and stand out, if you try and force conformity its never gonna work. And keep in mind many of those groups arent really happy either (especially the last), half their day is spent trying to look happy. Dont be jealous of other people's lives, often the ones you are jealous of are the ones who arent even living. What kind of life is it based solely on what others think? I was a poor kid with 12 kids in my family and we were social outcasts. Cripes my dad was so religious he had us pickett at the Catholic church cause he didnt like some new changes. I was so embaressed, I thought I was over, everyone knew about it. Instead when asked I said damn right we did, I wasnt afraid to defend myself when had I crumbled and caved I would have been screwed and ridiculed. Most everyone had respect for me cause of how I was. I have burn scars on my legs, my family has no money, we are super religious, and we have 12 kids, all things that kids tried to bring me down for all my life but I didnt let it get to me, and eventually I was friends with everyone and even the people I didnt like liked me. I had not a single enemy all throughout highschool that I can think of.

I am probably slightly narcissistic, but nonetheless I had the perfect situation in many ways for failure and social outcast. Speak your mind, dont try and conform, slightly redundant but be yourself, people find original people interesting and intruguing. There are regular nice people out there.

Well it's really hard to start meeting people, I know how you feel.

Some people dont like me because I am cocky, like my principal (see vacation thread)

Well if everything is really bad, you will move out of college soon and meet decent people somewhere else

dude, me and you talk on aim all the time and you know how i am. I have never really been considered "cool" but i am popular anyways just casue i TRY ot stand out from the crowd. if i do something and somebody thikns its cool and do it then i get pissed and find something else crazy to do. until last week i was the only guy w/ pink shoelaces on black shoes. also i put on a prep/punk image and nobody really screws w/ me. i DONT try to hang out w/ anybody at all, im an asshole to just about everybody cept some girl i might like but yet ppl still like me casue i dont give a damn bout what other ppl think. heres what i say to anybody that has a problem w/ me, i tell them if they dont like me or what i do then either shut the **** up or try to take me on. during our 10 minute passing periods in our high school i go to a vacant wall and i have ppl crowd around me. i dont try to be w/ a certain group or w/e. the bottom line is dont try to be somethign your not, let other ppl come to you. also all of my friends have the same attitude in life as i do and toward the high school. Your not gonna make it in life trying to be somebody else, you gotta be yourself and make do w/ what you can do. i like to be as unique as possible like wearing ushars white Ecko shoes w/ my punkish clothing lol. its funny but ppl think its cool casue nobody else does it. And dude you always have friends down here if you need some place to go, you know where i live. and oyu already think my friends are crazy and cool from what youve heard.

It's always better to walk your own path and explore who you are then have someone else dictate that for you. It may be lonely and difficult at times, but at the end of the day, you really just have to say to yourself "damn, I know who I am, and I can farking take pride in who I am."

If all else fails, a lil weed n whiskizzle never hurt anyone
lol...I 2nd that motion! :p If anything it's chalked up in the 'life experiences' note book haha.....I wouldn't recommend just starting up for the hell of it though because you got nothing better to do.

Beed,

I been there, man. I was a nerd way back when. Never cracked a book, but knocked down A's without a sweat. I was into computers when no one knew what a computer was. I was the Dungeon Master in the days of Dungeons & Dragons' infancy. I was, and am, a geek.

Even today I am a geek. I work in a Coca-Cola bottling plant. There are only about three people that I can talk computers with, but I hardly get to see them. Everyone talks about sports, but I couldn't tell you who won the World Series or the Super Bowl lasy year.

But, ya know, I am still fairly popular. Why? Because I ain't afraid to be me. I love to joke and cut up, I love to rag people with stuff I know gets under their skin. I get mad and blow up on the radio sometimes, but that's me, and everyone knows me.

Bottom line: If you being you ain't good enough for 'em, forget 'em. My best friends in the world were outcasts just like me. That's how we found each other, and that was the bond that forged the links between us.

Maybe it's because my school is so small, but it really doesn't matter what you are in to, because basically everyone here gets along. Of course, there are your common few ass-holes, but they are the ones that end up with no freinds. They have too many insecurities of their own, so they try and increase their social stance at the expense of others. You shouldn't heed them, they arent worth a glance.

We live 2 hours away from each other, and like I have told you before, I go to Arkansas all the time for cookouts with the guys in Definite Obsessions. All of us are geeks, lol, FAT star-wars geeks at that! I'm one of the only skinny ones. Most of us are just little kids stuck in grown bodies, cuttin' and weldin' on trucks and turning them into our toys. You should come to Van Buren to Richards house next time we go out there. It'll give you something to do, if you aren't working or at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom