License Question. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default License Question.

This may be a dumb question, but one I'm relatively curious about figuring an answer out to.

Tomorrow, my license expires. It is listed as expiring on 5/27/2010.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting up with an old buddy from school at a bar to catch up.

If they were to catch the date on it, would I be able to get in still? Does it mean 5/27 = the last day that it is valid, or the first day of it being invalid?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: License Question.

That marks the day it must be renewed, it is no longer valid due to any changes your face/hair has undergone through the years. It is mostly a tool of pulling money, but, also lets you know that you should get it updated so you don't look so different.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
That marks the day it must be renewed, it is no longer valid due to any changes your face/hair has undergone through the years. It is mostly a tool of pulling money, but, also lets you know that you should get it updated so you don't look so different.
What's ironic is I used to have really shaggy hair, which is when my license picture was taken. I ended up shaving my head for a year, and after that keeping it extremely short/buzzed with a slightly spiked-on-top army buzz cut looking thing. Now? It's back to being shaggy again, so I look pretty much identical to what I did in my license picture anyway.

Haaa??

I see I can get my license renewed online in PA, and I read something about they could print out a voucher that I present to a cop if I get pulled over saying I am this person, yes my license is expired, but it's okay because here's my confirmation. I wonder if a bar would accept that...
Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I dunno about there, but you can renew online in Tennessee. They will send the new license to you with the same picture as before.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I think PA requires you to have a new picture, at least based on how stern they were when they were talking about it. I got my "voucher" for my license today, because the photo center was closed. It's a 60 day voucher which is basically an "extension of life" on my old license till I can get a picture taken, at which point I'll get a new one printed out.

Also - My license expiration date is 5/27/2010. They told me that it is GOOD for the entire duration of tomorrow. Come 12:01 AM 5/28/2010, it's expired.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Licenses expire at 12:01am the next day. The reason being is that some people forget to renew, or wait till the last minute or even if they do renew online in the proper amount of time they are not sent in time cause someone at the local DMV is sleeping or on YouTube instead of printing them...but i digress.

So it could be caught in the mail or one of a million other things. I was able to use my license, which still stated under 21 and expired on my 21st birthday to buy alcohol. I didnt have my new license when i went to the store as it was not sent to me in time. It was still considered valid and i was able to buy.

At least that is how it is in NY.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I don't think a bar cares if your license needs to be renewed. The only reason they check your ID is to make sure you're old enough. They're not a government run industry.

The bar is the last thing you should be worried about here. I'd be more worried about getting pulled over and getting a ticket.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
I don't think a bar cares if your license needs to be renewed. The only reason they check your ID is to make sure you're old enough. They're not a government run industry.

The bar is the last thing you should be worried about here. I'd be more worried about getting pulled over and getting a ticket.
I'm in the clear now, I have a 60 day "lease" on my existing license till I can get my picture taken.

I'm sorry, but it's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard of to have 1 building where you get your license renewed, etc, but the "photo center" which is in the corner surrounded by office-like cubical dividers closes THREE HOURS before the regular license renewal place does out in the main lobby.

Go PA. Failboat.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
I'm sorry, but it's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard of to have 1 building where you get your license renewed, etc, but the "photo center" which is in the corner surrounded by office-like cubical dividers closes THREE HOURS before the regular license renewal place does out in the main lobby.

Go PA. Failboat.
That is pretty stupid. It's not like that here.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Yee Ol' Salt

wow yeah in MI the pic taker is right there with everything in the DMV/ sec of state, PA does not require insurance either to register your car/plate, most other states require proof of insurance.

Find my post helpful? IF so please rate me by clicking the green check mark under my avatar.

:D Antec 300|M3N72-D|AMD PHM II X3 BE 720 3.0ghz (CodeName "Heka")|OCZ Stealth Xtreme 600w|2 two gig OCZ DDR2 1066 gold 4 GB of Ram|BFG-GTX 260 512||Samsung 42" Plasma| XP x86 sp3 /Vista x386 and x64|
The face I make everytime I'm on my machine :eek:
Closed Thread