A level choices (chemistry, ICT or psychology)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
I have to pick a fourth A level as my choice of economics is not running any more, as I was the only one who put it down.

The choice of academic ones in the block are chemistry, ICT and psychology all of which I am not 100% happy with. Chemistry I am destined to fail, ICT - well I don't like the teacher and psychology, well... (Atleast I will have a good teacher - Bob Incredible - not real name) I have put down chemistry as my choice of that block, but I am not 100% happy with it.

I have already selected the other 3 choices (which will not change) and they are Cisco (CCNA qualification,) maths and physics. Due to only two of these will actually get me a A level in, I need to make the right choice on the other one, as I can not drop it.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the above subject choices.

Trif.

Well lets see, psychology is a nice modern a-level thats fashionable but utter bollocks.

Chemistry is the only really respectable subject in your list of extra courses, thing is that in the real world (all of it) people (employers) see the subjects like Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Biology etc as the real sciences, whereas (and im not taking a shot at those with psychology a-levels or degrees here) things like social science, psychology, geography etc are seen as the soft sciences. These employers tend to go for the best and not the softest candidate.

Lets face it your not doing your A-level for fun anyway, so you may aswell get the most out of them in later life.

A course like psychology isnt so much for a resume as it is for your own growth as a person, I didnt think I would like it either when I took it about 21 years ago, turned out to be one of my favorite classes and I learned alot from it.

What exactly do you do. I know its the study of the mind, but what do you actually do in it?

Mostly you learn about the history of pschology itself and why it it what it is. Then you learn about the theories behind what makes the mind what it is and how it works. You also usually get into the philosophy behind the different views on how the human mind works. It helps you understand why people do what they do and what motivates us. Its good backgorund knowledge and another building block in your education, think of it as another tool in your toolkit or skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom