Let's talk computer hardware and software fights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
I'm sure we've all been in all physical and verbal fight's.
We've taken 2 prescription pills to get rid of a cold or flue, when those pills meet there is a war going on inside you trying to get rid of the cold or the other drug.
Some of us have dogs and cats and almost most pets fight your attention even if it means taking out the other pet!

Finally, we know it's not good to use 2 antiviruses going on or 2 firewalls or maybe that whole combo, to keep the internets ugly pest away.

I have to admit about 3 years ago, I left symantec antivirus and nod32 2.4 on, because I wanted to see if it would corparate with one another along 1 firewall, zonealarm.
I had came home that night from work, I move my mouse and both antiviruses met me asking for permission to disable it or uninstall the othr product.
I just had to have a good laugh at them both mind you I had a bad day and it brighten up my day a little, still though it took my celeron d 347 to recooperate over night and be back online a day later.
Heck I even put 2 tv tuner cards in my old pc or had my second sound card in there and low and behold they started to fight for start up rights and the occasional crashing.

Why is it that certain products don't like being together, I understand that one needs to be the full look out and protector, but even lets say hikari or trotters new quadcore which is coming with the right amount of ram the 2 security suites would stop fighting I hope since they would have their own core... ;)

Running 2 AV's isn't good. They conflict, causing problems which could make you more vulnerable.

Why is it that certain products don't like being together, I understand that one needs to be the full look out and protector, but even lets say hikari or trotters new quadcore which is coming with the right amount of ram the 2 security suites would stop fighting I hope since they would have their own core... ;)

First off, I have a triple core.

Secondly, that has absolutely nothing to do with how AVs work...they conflict not because of the cores or RAM, but because the different AVs work differently and pick up different things.

I'm sure we've all been in all physical and verbal fight's.
We've taken 2 prescription pills to get rid of a cold or flue, when those pills meet there is a war going on inside you trying to get rid of the cold or the other drug.
Some of us have dogs and cats and almost most pets fight your attention even if it means taking out the other pet!

Finally, we know it's not good to use 2 antiviruses going on or 2 firewalls or maybe that whole combo, to keep the internets ugly pest away.

I have to admit about 3 years ago, I left symantec antivirus and nod32 2.4 on, because I wanted to see if it would corparate with one another along 1 firewall, zonealarm.
I had came home that night from work, I move my mouse and both antiviruses met me asking for permission to disable it or uninstall the othr product.
I just had to have a good laugh at them both mind you I had a bad day and it brighten up my day a little, still though it took my celeron d 347 to recooperate over night and be back online a day later.
Heck I even put 2 tv tuner cards in my old pc or had my second sound card in there and low and behold they started to fight for start up rights and the occasional crashing.

lol, i have not had this problem with my x-fi xtreme music and my onboard audio working at the same time. not since vista anyways.

Okay you need to learn what AV products do. Cause what you said up there is so wrong on so many levels.

First off there are 3 levels for scanners.

Active, Passive or Progressive

Active means they scan at all times
Passive means they only scan when told
Progressive means that they scan for patterns. Things like Malware, Viruses and spyware use certain patterns which a passive scanner tries to detect.

Now Active and Passive are fully based on definitions while Progressive use definitions but at not limited by them. The reasons why they conflict are varied but it comes down to 1 simple thing.

1 of the programs detects what it believes to be a virus, the other does not. This is where the conflict arises. The system doesnt know what to do because it is getting conflicting information from 2 programs on what actions it should take. So the actions offset and the infection gets through with no resistance.

It has nothing to do with the amount of cores on a CPU, how much RAM you have installed, what OS you are using, what sound card you have, what network adapter you have or anything else. It ALL comes down to the conflict of information given by the 2 programs to the OS on what to do. The OS is not created with AI or with a decision engine to determine which is the right course of action.

I remember the old fashion days where network cards and sound blaster sound cards used to fight over IRQ 11.
Lost count the number of times I have address conflicts with SCSI devices.

Wow some people run two?! I don't even run one.. :p

And yes this guy makes brain hurt..

That used to be the craze back in the Win3.x Win9x days.
However back then, we did not have much in the way of internet or automatic updates.

In lameman's terms, picture this.... Your computer is a big building. And you just employeed 2 security guards to look after it. The only problem is that both security guards are not aware of each other's presents. So if one security guard see the flash light of the other security guards patroling around, then he's going to think it's a threat.

2 AV software at the same time. Not recommended. One will see the other one acting and it will treat it like a threat.

i fixed one PC that had 4 on it.

I seem to run into a lot of those machines where the owner did not un-install the previous anti virus. And of course there is products like Trend Micro which is just a dog to cleanly un-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom