Legal Music Downloads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GameGURU said:
iTunes is a good idea, but my parents are too worried about putting a credit card on an account... I just want to do a one time credit card enter and be done with. Basically I buy 30 songs for $30 and that gets me those 30 songs with out an account. As far as Canada goes, I find it hard to beleive that that is legal because I beleive it is illegal everywhere.

Just curious, but why do your parents care if you have LimeWire anyways?

Cant you just hide the thing?

You can hide the icon in My Documents or some secret folder or something, and if you dont want it to pop up when the computer starts up, go to RUN, type in MSCONFIG, click STARTUP, and Uncheck the "LIMEWIRE" thing to make it so that it doesnt come up when the computer is restarted.

My parents know I download music for free, and they could care less. Heck, my dad downloaded some songs that he wanted!!

It isnt like they are going to actually do this to you if they catch you, and how do we know they are just saying that they are catching people just so that we will stop doing this?

Personally I think that is why they are saying that, because it is hard to believe that they would pin-point certain people out of such a large majority, and if they DID crack down, why not sue the companies such as Kazaa, Limewire, and such instead of the people?

Wouldnt shutting down the companies be more effective?

It just doesnt make sense......

Downloading music isnt stealing. Its sharing. Its not called the file stealing program, its called the file sharing program ;)

RyanOldw83 said:
Downloading music isnt stealing. Its sharing. Its not called the file stealing program, its called the file sharing program ;)

EXACTLY!

So how they get that it is illegal and that we should be punished, I dunno.

Shouldn't it be the program's fault for supplying us with the downloads, and shouldn't the makers of the programs get in trouble and not us?

The whole point of it all is stupid if you ask me.

Chubz said:
EXACTLY!

So how they get that it is illegal and that we should be punished, I dunno.

Shouldn't it be the program's fault for supplying us with the downloads, and shouldn't the makers of the programs get in trouble and not us?

The whole point of it all is stupid if you ask me.

The makers of the programs do not supply the downloads. The downloads are supplied by the users. You are downloading from someone else on the network...from what they have in the folders they've defined as "shared". That's why viruses are so easy to spread with the system...if you make a virus look like a file an ignorant user might want, they'll unknowningly download it and infect their system.

The whole point of it all is not stupid...because the record companies lose huge amounts of business from the entire thing...and no matter how many billions they still may have...it is their right to sue and attempt to stop the theft (or "sharing"...in regards to this issue, they are effectively the same).

GameGURU said:
As far as Canada goes, I find it hard to beleive that that is legal because I beleive it is illegal everywhere.

Each country controls their own laws...it is very difficult to make something "illegal everywhere".

Edit: what's sad here, is that I've double posted twice in this thread. :confused: ....I never used to do that...what's wrong with me here!

Well thanks to all of the hackers for their efforts to convert me to the illegal music downloading, which it is not sharing IT IS ILLEGAL in case you havent heard about the lawsuits. I would really download music if it was legal, but it isnt and it is not a humanly thing to do... you might think of that as a lame comment but it is true.

http://news.com.com/2100-1025-5121479.html

http://music.tinfoil.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=875

two links i picked up from the first page of google. The first link is pretty straight forward.

This was on the radio for a week or so non-stop i remember.

Personally, I think it was wrong for the CRIA to try and bottleneck the distribution of music through the internet claiming that it is morally incorect. In my eyes We have been buying CDs that are and were tottally overpriced for more that ten years. And now, a new method of music distribution becomes availible, and the CRIA immediately trys to kill it instead of embracing, adapting, and competeing the piracy element. This was a major mistake, and I believe that there probably was money lost to piracy, but it was tottally self-inflicted.

qiranworms said:
The makers of the programs do not supply the downloads. The downloads are supplied by the users. You are downloading from someone else on the network...from what they have in the folders they've defined as "shared". That's why viruses are so easy to spread with the system...if you make a virus look like a file an ignorant user might want, they'll unknowningly download it and infect their system.

The whole point of it all is not stupid...because the record companies lose huge amounts of business from the entire thing...and no matter how many billions they still may have...it is their right to sue and attempt to stop the theft (or "sharing"...in regards to this issue, they are effectively the same).

True, but what I meant, was that without the programs, THE FILES WOULD NOT BE SHARED.

Suing the company that supplies the programs would put a halt to the music sharing, therefore totally leaving the people without options unless they could somehow find another program to download music from.

See where I'm gettin' ?

GameGURU said:
Well thanks to all of the hackers for their efforts to convert me to the illegal music downloading, which it is not sharing IT IS ILLEGAL in case you havent heard about the lawsuits. I would really download music if it was legal, but it isnt and it is not a humanly thing to do... you might think of that as a lame comment but it is true.

"Dare to move"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom