Katrina

Status
Not open for further replies.
The levy system was supposed to handle only a category 3 event I believe. Where as Katrina was category 4 or 5. I haven't read up on the background on this whole levy system to comment on who's fault it was. But I think I remember hearing somewhere that they expected a significant hit like once in 300 years or some crap like that. Might be why no one gave a shit about it. Just their luck I guess.
I don't know about 300 years, but I heard basically the similar...they were going to congress asking to make repairs and update that crap because they knew eventually a big one would hit and congress kept saying no....so like I said, blame congress....not to say that would have completely prevented anything but hell it might have helped.

Wasnt the levee that failed, at least not at first, the thing that flooded the city was the 17th street canal floodwall, which is about 2 feet thick made of slabs of concrete, the water from the storm surge went right over the top and knocked a big section of it over.
Well that's another thing to observe...people fail to realize that is was a factor of MANY variables that caused that place to end up like it did...there was no one thing muchless one freakin HUMAN that can be at fault here....it's man against nature and they were in a horrible spot to be in muchless going up against a category 4 or 5 hurricane...luck just wasn't on their side.

Bush has started a probe into this whole Katrina mess. I guess we'll see what transpires in the next few weeks. While Bush was the obvious person to blame with regards to the Iraqi war, I don't know about this one.

The most the man can do is make sure the state gets funding. But it seems it wasn't him who was responsible for this outcome.

Now, there is a whole frikkin governing body in that state who should have taken point in this operation. They should've organized the rescues even if they had to dip into their budget. Clearly, something went wrong. I'd rather blame the state administration than the federal administration/Bush. I mean, what the hell is the [state administration/state elections] are for if they can't resolve a state issue such as this?

Obviously, AFTER the disaster happened the federal government should get [more] involved since they have more resources and they know there is chaos in the whole state. It should be about common sense more so than politics.

I just can't believe that a state cannot carry out a rescue operation when they KNEW of the event a few days before. Did they even request the feds for help and specify resources in the days before the event?

We'll see what happens.......

Oh please, look what has happened to FEMA under the Bush regime.Its been marginalized and gutted. Bush has throughout his terms as president consistently put under qualified and incompetent people in lots of key positions, FEMA is one of them.

Never ever trust the govt to investigate itself, thats like asking a fox to guard the henhouse.

What we have seen is a break down of all parts of the govt involved in this mess, and Bush is guilty as anyone, so is the mayor of new orleans and governor of Louisiana.

The mayor didnt follow the disaster plan and use school buses to get people out, that would have saved about 12-18000 people.

The governor didnt relinquish enough control to the federal govt.

FEMA's response has been pathetic, that falls on Bush's shoulders.

400 million dollars have been rasied by the Red Cross.

11 millino dollars by the www.bushclintonkatrinafund.org

and now the REd cross is trying to reach 1 billion dollars

BUT serioosly why does it take 1 week for relief to come there. in the tsunami it took like a day, but in our own shore. we couldnt get it there. they should had some public transportation for evacuation.

at least now they fixed the 17st levee, and now they are pumping some water out of new orleans, a little late. 8 days.

whats funny is, the storm wasnt that bad. first day after the storm it was ok, but the next levee goes bye bye and the lake potachtrain (dont know how to spell) just goes coming in and in and in and in. which floods 80-90% of the city. now we have to air lift the people stranded on the roofs. or by boat. then we have to get food and water to the people in the superdome and convention center especially. then they have to evacauate them. so bascailly bush. or congress just made the matters worse. now they have to pay billions of dollars to evacuate the poeople when they could have just evacuated before the storm so that they wouldnt have to do this big mess. and FEMA or Bush doesnt have no good explanation for this, except all bush says is that this is not enough relief being sent. then he says 40,000 national troops are coming, but there is only like 4000, i believe 7500 is there now. and there is just shooting and sniping. looks like Iraq to me.

But for now, i think we should stop playing the blame game, and just get these people some food or water, and evacuate them, then after thats settle, get the water out, rebuild then we can start playing the blame game. i mean no food or water, NO AC NO POWER!, in a convention center, with dead bodies rotting away. they wont even let them walk across the bridge, now they're all piled up outside of the convention center. aye this problem just keeps getting bigger and bigger as the days go by

The blame game? IT WAS NOONE'S FAULT!

Argh.

And if it wasn't someones fault then please be specific as to who we're blaming and what we're blaming them for. People these days.

BTW, I'm a expert at this because I watch the news! (sarcasm)

Bastards.

Yeah I just read a nice article right now that I need to scan in for most of the people here who think they know what the hell they are talking about.

Main point is the fact that the new orleans government has been corrupt for MANY, MANY years now, so that didn't help.

Most of those state officials ignored evacuation preparations, so if you want to look for someone to blame, start with the state of lousiana and new orleans state and city officials before you start immediately jumping to the president.

BTW, I'm a expert at this because I watch the news! (sarcasm)

Bastards.
Agree with ya there....that's how most of these people are..."OH I SAW GOOD MORNING AMERICA, I KNOW WHATS UP"

The only person I've seen actually post and know what the hell they are talking about is Horndude....why? Because he's an ADULT and has been around long enough to make an educated opinion about what's going on

I just think it's a pity that we can invade a country in the middle east and provide relief for the citizens on the same day, but it takes days for a convoy of relief troops to come in.

Not exactly Bush's fault, but it's definitely the administration. Also, the problem is not that we have all our troops oversees---a lot of our troops are still at base over here. It's just that they weren't sent fast enough.

I am a bit dissappointed in how everything is turning out, but fingers can't be pointed at one person or party.

And about the leeves, there have been movements since the 1920's to have them built up, but interest fluxuated and funds just weren't there to ever do anything about fixing the potential problem.

And about the leeves, there have been movements since the 1920's to have them built up, but interest fluxuated and funds just weren't there to ever do anything about fixing the potential problem.
That's what I'm saying...those things have been overlooked for a LONG ass time now.

The only person I've seen actually post and know what the hell they are talking about is Horndude....why? Because he's an ADULT and has been around long enough to make an educated opinion about what's going on
Oh my bad, cause were not 40 or so we dont know shit..... i hate ppl that think cause they have the advantage of saying they are older they know everything.:rolleyes: Ill leave it at that.

Oh my bad, cause were not 40 or so we dont know shit..... i hate ppl that think cause they have the advantage of saying they are older they know everything. Ill leave it at that.
oh give it up child....THATS THE WAY LIFE IS...I swear you must be one of those kids that sits their argueing with their parents all the damn time huh?

Did I ever say because he's older he knows everything? No, but he's sure going to know a helluva lot more than a little punk like you being that he's been through multiple presidents, administrations, a couple different wars and one huge scandal...so as far as the political aspect goes, then YES he will know more than you, get over it.

It's little kids like you that piss me off the most when you can't sit there and realize someone who's a couple generations older than you and who has been through LIFE will know more than you, have more maturity than you, and be able to make EDUCATED opinions on things happening around them based on EXPERIENCE.

That's like sitting there and saying "Oh well he's played guitar for 10 years, but that doesn't mean he's better than me whos only played a month"

Give it a freakin rest already with your childish "OH IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU'RE OLDER, EHH I"M TIRED OF THE OLDER PEOPLE WAAAAAH"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom