Just got my first car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats man.... having a car is a blast... till you have to keep fillin up the tank, buying new tires every 10k miles... (well I did, lol)...

I was gonna post a pic of my '86 Grand Prix, but I guess I don't have any pics of it in my photobucket account...

Ok, so today me and my dad replaced the air filter, changed the oil, and bought a new light bulb for the front of the car. :) here are a few pics.
IMG00203.jpg

IMG00200.jpg

only bad rust spot:
IMG00201.jpg

Nice.

Here in britian are first cars are no way near as cool or big (unless your rich) with much smaller engines.

Like these !:

blue_mini.JPG

and

fiat_punto1200cc2001f34.jpg

and

Ford_Ka_Kool_of_Oetz.jpg

It's beginning to prove problematic as the more recent generation of lads are typically over 6 foot. And those cars really dont suit well for that height.
But then we cant afford cars with bigger engines. Remember we pay more than double the fuel cost of you americans :(

Oreo, we drive way more than you do as well.

We dont have a major metro system, and are forced to drive much further, as well as have 20 gallon tanks. In the end we still pay more for gas.

Didn't think about that... i guess there's reasoning behind everything.

Our transport system isn't that good. We have Trains going to big towns and cities, not all of them. You can get buses to all cities and towns if you live within 10 miles, and London has a subway system. Apart from that, you gotta drive. But then i guess you can drive from one end of england to the other in 8 to 12 hours.

So, why you gotta drive so far ? surely nearly everyone here lives within 10 miles of a city ..?

Yeah we may live in cities, but they are very large and you may have to drive 25 minutes to and from work each day. Some people commute for 45 minutes, some are lucky and live close by.

And for those who live in the country, yeah they still have to drive pretty far to get to anything.

8 hours.....let me see 8 hours of driving and im still in the same state. It would take about 35 hours to drive from california to florida, without traffic.

I live about 7-8 miles out of town. My town, Cleveland, Tennessee (not Ohio), is moderate sized with about 40K or so, so it has most of what you need. If not, you drive to Chattanooga (30 miles), Knoxville (80 miles), Atlanta (120 miles), Nashville (150 miles), and so on. Oh, there's boatloads of towns inbetween, but they are smaller than Cleveland and won't have anything that Cleveland doesn't.

Even if you just want to travel around in town, everything is spread out. Cleveland just got a bus system a few years ago, but I have no idea how it works (metro transport is a requirement to be declared a metropolitan area). It uses mini-buses, and all I see using it are the kind of people I would not want to ride with.

Before gas went through the roof, it was nothing for us (me, my wife, and our daughter) to hop in the car and go the Chatt-town for the heck of it, tool around all day, and drive home. Now, our daughter is out on her own, and we can't really afford the gas to blow.

Yeah we may live in cities, but they are very large and you may have to drive 25 minutes to and from work each day. Some people commute for 45 minutes, some are lucky and live close by.

And for those who live in the country, yeah they still have to drive pretty far to get to anything.

8 hours.....let me see 8 hours of driving and im still in the same state. It would take about 35 hours to drive from california to florida, without traffic.

Hmm, i guess the only city close to that is london. But then you have to pay congestion charges every day ontop of that if you enter the city center :mad: Rip off.

I can get to to about 5 towns or cities with over 300,000 population in about an hour . And about 3 within an hour and a half with over 1 million in population.

And lol about the 8 hour thing. Imagine 1/4 of your entire population living in one of your small states.. pretty crowded ey ? thats the UK :p
Although it doesn't seem crowded to us.. still plenty of farmland around, but i guess coming from were you are you would find it very different.

Trotter, your town of 40,000 has most the things you need. Wow, i live in a town of about 5,000. It has 4 schools, 2 nurseries, 5 general stores. 3 hairdressers, a supermarket, a bank, a post office, a hardware store, a computer store, it has a builders shop (kinda lucky i guess, but no need to go anywere for wood + bricks etc), and a bus service from 5:30am to 8pm that comes every 10 minutes, then every hour there after. And anything else we need ever they hardly do in the shops over here in any city anyway, so its off to order on the internetz.

We can order things up untill about 9 or 10pm, and receive it before 8am in the morning, and get to 3 theme parks in about an hours drive. I live in the very very center of the england, and it still only takes 2 and a bit hours to get to the sea. (providing we go 90mph instead of 70mph down the motorway :p)

I guess thinking about it, it would annoy me living in such a huge country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom