Judge Sentences Spammer to 9 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
horndude said:
Typical american judicial system, overreaction due to lack of knowledge and basic fear,and even worse,vague laws which in many cases are either misinterpreted or in some cases dont even apply.
I don't think people fear spammers, dude. I think we hate them. People might fear hackers, but they don't fear spammers.
horndude said:
I can understand not liking spam, but if this sentence fits, then maybe the penalty for drunk driving should be death LOL.
Maybe it should? I mean, there are numerous cases of people being picked up for severe DUI. After the 1st strike, the second should be prison.

Either way, 9 years may be slightly harsh, but jail time is definately deserved. Have you considered, not only the annoyance that this guy caused, but the loss of money? Spam costs people and businesses millions of dollars every day.

And what a low way to earn a living. I'd rather be a trash-man than do what this guy did.

Originally posted by Harper
If I was that judge, I would make him have this as his prison uniform too. Make him real populare with the other inmates.
Nah, I think you'd be doing him a favor. None of the convicts could reach his @ss in that suit.

To me its just another case similar to what happened to Kevin Mitnick as far as the sentence vs the crime, and in this case, if the law is interpreted literally, he's innocent.You may not like what he did, and I dont either, but I dont think the sentence fits.

The fear im talking about isnt fear of spammers, its fear of the unknown and the percieved power hackers have,even if its totally bogus and unjustified,which usually results in harsh sentences and over reactions.

Like I said above, unless youve been arrested and/or incarcerated, you know not what your talking about,not even close.I think everyone should get locked up for a few days, might open people's eyes a little and help then get over their naivete.

The percieved and reported cost of spam is more than likely seriously over rated,a few of my friends run a local ISP,dealing with spam is less costly and easier to deal with than many think,dont believe everything you see on TV LOL,or in the silly newspapers in this country.

I don't think people fear spammers, dude. I think we hate them. People might fear hackers, but they don't fear spammers.

I don't fear spammers....

::goes and unplugs his Cat-5 cable from the back of his computer::

Haha! Eat that you evil hackers! >=)

Only da evil ones of course...the good ones I put a nice big welcome mat on my back door as they usually make my comp better rather than screwing it up.

dont believe everything you see on TV LOL,or in the silly newspapers in this country.

Belive about 1% of what you hear and/or read from the media...most of it is just BS and/or they exagerate........etc etc etc...same old story.

horndude said:
The fear im talking about isnt fear of spammers, its fear of the unknown and the percieved power hackers have,even if its totally bogus and unjustified,which usually results in harsh sentences and over reactions.
No, I don't think laws having to do with spam have a lot to do with the public's fear of hackers. The public fears the results of hackers. They don't fear the results of spammers. This guy wasn't nailed in court because people were afraid of being told they're a WINNER!!! WINNER!!! WINNER!!!
horndude said:
dont believe everything you see on TV LOL,or in the silly newspapers in this country.
And I seriously doubt that anyone making their corporate networking decisions is doing so soley on what they see on TV.

I hate spammers. I am not afraid of hackers. No one has ever hacked my server or my linux box. I don't get spam with gmail though.

If companies allow you to use your private mail at work, or they don't have classified email addresses (which most companies don't), spam comes in by the ton. On my machine at work, I have three email addresses directed to it. One is the work email for me, the other two are personal. For work, the MSES catches 99% of the spam and chucks it into a holding queue for periodic deletion, which saves us from anything being directed at the company's mail server. As for my own, I might get 1 or 2 spam emails a day, but that's probably because I have more control over my email than most people.

This ain't the case for many of my coworkers. My supervisor gets, no lie, at least 300 spam emails a day on his private accounts. Although he's an extreme in the system, he's not alone.

So you've got all this "personal spam" clogging up the ES and LAN bandwidth, plus all the junk coming to the in-hous mail server. We don't have a big presence on the net, so we're not completely in the gulf of spam, but it still costs us a calculatable amount of money, not to mention time (which becomes money again).

Of course, we could eliminate personal email from our company. But then that would lead to everyone using the company address for things they shouldn't, plus spending their time with other email devices (such as blackberries). We'd have more spam hitting the MSES, not to mention a major security risk.

The sentence was a little too harsh, chop 4 years off of that, and that would be a good punishment...
Yan

YanBooth said:
The sentence was a little too harsh, chop 4 years off of that, and that would be a good punishment...
Yan
Yeah, 4 years, then put him in the front lines of the Army in Iraq. Let him get shot at and blown up verses someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom