Joining the Territorial Army :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ normally in cases like that they have medic training but are not officially in the eyes of the LOAC and Geneva convention are not classed as true medics.

To be honest I am surprised they are classed at all seeing as they are shadow units which do missions which politically are incorrect however supposedly for the good of the country...

I think it seems fair to say the british army is massively underfunded. If they doubled or trippled there funding.. they'd be pretty awesome.

What the...look at this (a pic of military expenditure per year):

military.jpg

The US spends more money than the whole of europe combined. That's absurd. And France spend more than the UK, how embarressing.

Saxon, what do you think would be the perfect weapon for the UK to next adopt for it's military? I've always heard alot of people think the G36C/K is a good gun, looks nice too.

edit:

Looking on wikipedia, the US army combined with reserves has around 1,088,000 soldiers. The UK, with reserves, TA, and Gurkhas (God bless the Gurkhas !) we have 147,000 roughly.

US Expenditure per soldier = $598000
Uk Expenditure per soldier = $387000

That doesn't seem quite so bad now, perhaps a crude methodology of judging a military budget, but where the money goes and how effective it is is the most important.

To be honest I am surprised they are classed at all seeing as they are shadow units which do missions which politically are incorrect however supposedly for the good of the country...

They still have classifications as combatants, because unless you are in a unit that carries no ID what so ever (illegal under the LOAC) you still have to abide by the rules, the classifications that are there are pre defined.

A civilian is classified as a unarmed citizen and they are out of bounds the moment there is a weapon in there hands they go up to enemy combatant and there for a viable target, so legally a guy can have a gun start shooting at you and go round a corner toss it over a wall and then he is technically a civilian and it is no longer legal to shoot them.

A medic is a soldier who is specifically trained in a medical role and serves no other purpose other than offering medical assistance - they are allowed to carry a weapon for self defence and defence of there charge but they are not allowed to fire it in any other circumstance.

There is a lot of stuff in the LOAC an the Geneva convention that is open to wide interpretation and most of it is treatment of POW's an when an who you can attack, for instance it is legal to shoot paratroopers who are exiting a aircraft to attack you but it is not legal to shoot air crew who are exiting a damaged aircraft.

Oreo you seem to be forgettin the amount of citizens we do have in our country with comparison with US we are very very small aswell with China. Our tactics are selective and speciailist rather then China and the US which has proven to just throw grunt after grunt at the enemy. We luckily have our ex-empire to rely on such as the gurkhas which arguably are the modern equivalent of spartan soldiers from birth they are taught how to fight.

Gurkhas are legends, there was a celebration given to one who fought in the early 50's lost his arm an both his legs an still kept fighting as best he could, the little tiny village he lives in there is a monthly rota of people who take care of him even carrying him round on there backs. They enter the army not speaking much English not even knowing to use a crossing on the roads or a cash point an they often leave with a university level education this gives them a tremendous advantage when they return home.

An the gurkha knife the curkri (I am not sure on the spelling) is ****ing lethal an they are highly skilled with it, Even Winston Churchill made a note about them in a diary about a gurkha who was so skilled with one he was able to decapitate some one with it in not much more than a flick of the wrist if I am recalling the quote right.

Oreo you seem to be forgettin the amount of citizens we do have in our country with comparison with US we are very very small aswell with China. Our tactics are selective and speciailist rather then China and the US which has proven to just throw grunt after grunt at the enemy. We luckily have our ex-empire to rely on such as the gurkhas which arguably are the modern equivalent of spartan soldiers from birth they are taught how to fight.

Yeh, i know this. The US obviously has ALOT more money to spend, i'm just saying, it'd be great if we had some more to spend.

And wow saxon, that'd be pretty neat to have knife skills like that :D Are the gurkhas actually well trained soldiers ? or are they just tough and strong..

Yeh, i know this. The US obviously has ALOT more money to spend, i'm just saying, it'd be great if we had some more to spend.

And wow saxon, that'd be pretty neat to have knife skills like that :D Are the gurkhas actually well trained soldiers ? or are they just tough and strong..

The common wealth soldier are very very highly selective only the best physical specimens actually serve in the UK army they are simply incredible men whom have saved our asses many a time. They are much much much better then the working class people that serve in our armed forces simply because their selection process is that much tougher.

They are very very well trained, they learn a lot growing up in there culture as a result most of them are physically stronger than normal and exceptionally resilient.

They are very very well trained, they learn a lot growing up in there culture as a result most of them are physically stronger than normal and exceptionally resilient.

Wow.

It infuriates me how our government won't give all gurkhas british citizenship.. it's disgusting. All they do for us, and we won't let them even come and live here.

Anyhow, back on topic. Do the Gurkhas actually play an active roll in any of our current military operations such as Afghanistan ?

What the...look at this (a pic of military expenditure per year):

military.jpg

The US spends more money than the whole of europe combined. That's absurd. And France spend more than the UK, how embarressing.

yes....thats why our economy is hurting to so badly.

We dont usually spend so much, its the two wars that are raping our economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom