It's Official...No more IPv4 left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saxon, will comptia be adding newer information for Network+ 2012 certification in april and mention ip v6 info ?
Yes, I do realize my old college net+ credits from 2008 our dated, but I still remember quite abit.
Heck, I score higher on it on the 702 exam questons then the windows ones i got knocked around again last week... :p

CompTIA sometimes seems to be a bit slow when updating that stuff, could be next year or after, as most of us wont see IPv6 much for another few years.

Yeah it'll be at least another few years before the end user has to deal with this, in fact most people won't even have to do anything except maybe get a new router if their current one doesnt support IPv6. I'm guessing home networks and internal company networks will still use IPv4 indefinitely, no need to switch those to v6

While there is a new Internet addressing system ready to go that greatly expands the number of addresses, it isn't compatible with the existing system. So in June, Google, Facebook, Yahoo Inc. and others will switch over to the new addresses for one day in the first wide-scale test of the new network, dubbed IP version six, or IPv6.

Web Running Out of Addresses - WSJ.com

I honestly don't see any normal tech using it, maybe on the WAN side at most, as IPv4 can be used on the LAN how ever someone decides, to an extent, and eventually, IPv4 COULD potentially be labeled for home/small-med business only use, or at least a large chunk of it

^you mean internally right? That's already happening in a lot of places. I don't think it'd ever be designated for external use just for home/small business only.

I am sure i am just being simple - and that there is a technical reason, But really what is so impossible about just giving out numbers. You know, the first computers address can be #1. Or more than likely, something like 00000000000000000000001.

The 34th millionth and one hundred and twelth can be just so..0000000000000034000112.

How would subnets work? Would IPs be able to be region specific?

Details, details. Things to do. Things to get done. Don't bother me with details, just tell me when they're done.

:thumbsup:

edit:
Fine i will make it more complicated. The 3 most significant bits can denote a unique ID corresponding to a country, the next 3 a region within that country (If said country has more than 999regions, screw them). And subnets ? well i havn't figured that one out yet so i'll get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom