Isp Subpoenad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone just used your machine as a proxie server or something..... I dunno but i doubt any hacker would want his presence noticed so he could later do more damage and download even more data.

I just dont think one would re-arange desktop items and delete files that most users would notice missing, sure there might be a few everynow and then that do that, but it dont seem natural......

I think the hacker will have downloaded the file before messing with the desktop. It would be a sorta final insult, showing off, at what they can do. It doesn't surprise me if files where deleted, even importent system onces. It could lead to the user reformatting as their machine goes wrong. Most the datas gone, although not totally, with most the evidents gone aswell. I doubt the file will be on your old harddrive. The file will of most likely passed through your system on route to the hackers machine. It more like a router set-up, where the target machine passes the data thru your machine. It won't be traced, unless theres firewall logs. Question: did you have a firewall running? They do give a sometimes false sense of security, as they aren't perfect and can let bad traffic thru. If you didn't then I'm not surprised. If you did then, which one?

I'd say most of them are idle attempts finding weak systems, but they are attempts nonetheless
I bet its surprisingly easily to find a weak system. If you put your mind to it you would be able to do it. With the wealth of information on the Internet, there are tools you can download and mess around with. I would bet that this hacker (or more likely Script kiddie) isn't too smart. They may have got a tool of a website and used it to configure the target machine. After that the hacker can decide what they want to do.

With the Internet its best to be over cautious. Not even letting ICMP pings (or traces) be replied to. It sounds crazy, but what if that ping request is a machine querying if your online. Next thing you know theres a port scan, then an attack of some sort. It is a pain really that with faster connections and more people having them. A hacker can be in and out in minutes and you would be non the wiser.

yeah, I have my router which is really good at blocking hackers, but I also keep a software firewall on aswell
and my router is set to block pinging from the net.

My freaking dial up server constantly pings me to see if im online >_< gets annoying because it pings us every 30 minutes... But people who do ping me try to do port scans and about every 4 pings its a blocked port scan.... every now and then they try and attack my machine but they cant get in >_>

void said:

I bet its surprisingly easily to find a weak system. If you put your mind to it you would be able to do it. With the wealth of information on the Internet, there are tools you can download and mess around with. I would bet that this hacker (or more likely Script kiddie) isn't too smart. They may have got a tool of a website and used it to configure the target machine. After that the hacker can decide what they want to do.

any computer running a service like ftp or http is vulnerable, and any windows computer running any exploitable services even printer sharing

they exploit something and get root, install a proxy server and poof, instant relay for hacking into other boxes using your IP

yes there are lots of tools available, the best ones are those setup for use by security people used in systems vulnerability checking

just from one site I know of the following can be hacked:
any iis service just about
most ftp services
printer sharing
wireless anything
many unix boxes running various daemons
a few linux services

Pretty vulnerable, its difficult for them not to be, even proftpd can be hacked pretty easily and its supposed to be one of the tougher ones to hack.......took one google search and 2 clicks to get the source code to crack the proftpd I run sometimes.

all it takes is some tcp/ip knowledge, good C programming skills, and knowing the RFC's..........any program which accepts input like an ftp daemon can usually be forced open with buffer overflows or by sending specially crafted packets which it isnt ready for

this is why places that provide these services take steps like putting the daemons in a chroot jail so if they get hacked the hacker doesnt get any further than the directory the daemon is running in and then doesnt have any tools to work with.......if he even has a shell to work with

most security on computers today is like a piece of candy, hard and crunchy on the outside, but soft and mushy on the inside........you get thru the initial outer layer and after that its easy

The toughest job when hacking networks is mapping them out, and finding out all the info about what services are running and on what kind of box........once you know that it gets pretty easy. This is why its very important to disable daemons that identify themselves by OS and and program release number when pinged........you ping an ftp for example and it comes up "warftpd 1.65" and you might as well write it off cause its a done deal, thats asking to get owned. WindowsXp running most freely available ftp services take like 5 seconds to hack into and get root. Once youve got root on a windows box its game over, windows has zero internal protection.

Depending on what ftp is running on that cisco it may be easy, it may be hard. Cisco's source code isnt freely available but their hardware is well known enough for most of the reverse engineering to be easy acquired these days. If it isnt setup this way already, disable the greeting message that idenitifes its release # and OS its runs on if it volunteers that when someone tries to log on. At least that will make it into a trial and error situation and most crackers would rather try something else unless its a grudge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom