Isp Subpoenad

Status
Not open for further replies.

void

In Runtime
Not sure if this is the right place but hey. Yes it is. I guess what the hacker has done is to connect to you then used your connection to download to the file. This means that the file went from a server to your computer, so your computers IP address showed up. The file then went from your computer to the hackers computer or to another computer where it could be pass on to the hacker. They did it to conceal there IP adress. The computer that downloaded the file was your. So MPAA think you downloaded the file, which you didn't. I think it could prove hard to prove your innocents. This is a really unfortunate case. I hope you don't get into too must trouble. But it makes you angry that people do this. Hopefully you learn a lesson about computer sercuity, but its a shame it was done the hard way.

LOL this guy just wants to know how to hack an IP so he's coming up with this BS story

nice try buddy

Whatever info your ISP gives up you also have the right to look at, file a motion for discovery if you have to to obtain it if the ISP doesnt voluntarily let you have it. Yes someone can use your machine as a proxy. Whether or not your ISP has detailed enough records of the actvities in question is kinda unlikely, and more than likely the MPAA has a very weak case(they usually do). If all they have is an IP address and zero packet sniffing records to show actual proof of file transfer then if you fight it you stand a pretty good chance actually. In order to show definte proof your PC was involved in the act of transferring a copyrighted file they would have to have decoded packets that constitute an actual copyrighted file OR catch you in the act of seeding a protected file as in seeding a bittorrent file, and Im pretty sure this would have to have several witnesses as well as definitive proof thru the ISP.

I can tell you right now that despite zone alarm or any other protection you may think will help, your box can be hacked, and usually quite easily, they are numerous holes in almost every OS made. Almost any common ftp server can be hacked, as well as several ways thru internet explorer,active X, etc etc etc There are quite a few websites with scripts and tools for those that are less creative and persistent when it comes to breaking into systems that make it quite easy to hack most boxes, you can root just about anything, and unfortunately windows in all its forms is basically pretty vulnerable. I thinks its kinda rare that just an out of the blue random hack would happen to an end user with a broadband connection but im sure it happens, my system logs show numerous breakin attempts everyday.

If your using a wireless network then it wont be to hard, theres been reports all over tampa about peoples wireless networks being hacking into and used......

I swear, do you have a program such as VNC installed? lol Happens to me all the time, friends get onto my machine when im gone and just **** with me for fun, but seriously i doubt a "hacker" as you call it would let you notice that there doing things such as that.

Does your router support wireless connections? If so i think it constantly sends out a signal...... Im not sure im not into network stuff much....

EDIT: I mean router not modem >_<

do you still have your old hard drive?
if you really didn't download the file, then it may not be on your hard drive.
sometimes people actually take the platters out of a hard drive that somebody might have tried to destroy, and read them in a special lab.
also, they can do that to people who have tried to erase their data. even if the data has been changed, sometimes it is possible to find out what the data was. that usually involves an electron microscope and a lot of time

in any case, if your hard drive is dead, you might be able to get it checked in one of those special labs to prove that the file is not on there.

hacking is very common. my router blocks literally hundreds of hacker attempts a day.

Chances are them hundreds of hacker attempts are just back ground noise on the net or something, because if my Sygate reported everything as a hack attempt then.... god....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom