IQ test

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what they emailed me:
"Thank you for recently taking the Self Discovery Workshop's IQ Test.
Because of the Internet's ability to mishandle transmissions, we are reconfirming via email that your IQ Test score was: 156"

Sorry to say it pal, but they are probably giving too high scores. Many of these sites do this because if are happy with your result you are more likely to buy their evaluations..

"Thank you for recently taking the Self Discovery Workshop's IQ Test.
Because of the Internet's ability to mishandle transmissions, we are
reconfirming via email that your IQ Test score was: 161"

But like that other guy said, I don't think that's right.. The test seemed pretty easy to me. And it can't be that accurate if you have a 50% chance of getting 100% (since all the question are true-false)

ya, that test is not veryvalid at all, i got this:

Thank you for recently taking the Self Discovery Workshop's IQ Test.
Because of the Internet's ability to mishandle transmissions, we are
reconfirming via email that your IQ Test score was: 148

and i am no genius, lol, but thats what it says i am, hehe

Emily said:
But like that other guy said, I don't think that's right.. The test seemed pretty easy to me. And it can't be that accurate if you have a 50% chance of getting 100% (since all the question are true-false)

That's not true. This is not how probability works. With true and false, the chances decrease with each following question. Ok. That made no sense. I'll explain. You have one 50/50 question. You have a 1 in 2 chance of getting it. If you have two 1 in 2 questions, you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting them both right. Add a third...your chances of getting them ALL right is 1 in 8.

The reason for this, is the fact that EACH ONE OF THEM has to have that 1 in 2 chance to the benefit. So basically, (1/2)(1/2)=(1/4). Or as an equation, (x/y)<to the power of the number of questions>=total probability, when "x" is the numerator and "y" is the denominator of the fraction representing the probability of an individual question, ie. in this case of true and false, 1/2, which is of course 50%. You can do something similar for multiple choice (a typical question is a-d therefore a 1 in 4 chance of getting it).

Tell me if I am making any sense. :p

an easier way of writing this is:

(1/x)^n

where x is the number of opions to your multiple-choice question, and n is the number of questions.

qiranworms said:
That's not true. This is not how probability works. With true and false, the chances decrease with each following question. Ok. That made no sense. I'll explain. You have one 50/50 question. You have a 1 in 2 chance of getting it. If you have two 1 in 2 questions, you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting them both right. Add a third...your chances of getting them ALL right is 1 in 8.

The reason for this, is the fact that EACH ONE OF THEM has to have that 1 in 2 chance to the benefit. So basically, (1/2)(1/2)=(1/4). Or as an equation, (x/y)<to the power of the number of questions>=total probability, when "x" is the numerator and "y" is the denominator of the fraction representing the probability of an individual question, ie. in this case of true and false, 1/2, which is of course 50%. You can do something similar for multiple choice (a typical question is a-d therefore a 1 in 4 chance of getting it).

Tell me if I am making any sense. :p

Oops. My bad. But my point was that you have a greater chance at getting a high score on a true/false test than on an open-ended test or one with more than 2 multiple choice answers per question.

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot I was trying to get at the fact that you have a 50% chance of getting any given question correct. Just had some kind of brain fart along the way.:confused:

The whole test is junk anyway (tried it...didn't like it that much...rushed through it in about 10 minutes without looking to check my answers...wasn't worth that kind of effort). Skips many areas professional IQ tests examine in detail. It not only inflates the scores, but people with more of the certain areas of intelligence it does examine will do better then people who are worse in those areas but may have a higher overall IQ. And to think it says that professional tests usually score within five points...:laughing: ...oh, and I got 165 by the way.

Emily said:
P.S. Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot I was trying to get at the fact that you have a 50% chance of getting any given question correct. Just had some kind of brain fart along the way.:confused:
Don't worry. I understand perfectly. :)

And this is about the 20th time I've edited this post...I keep making stupid spelling and other mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom