iPod saves soldier's life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I was saying it that the vest itself should have slowed the bullet down. And yes, I read the article, back in April.

And it did...the guy is alive isn't he? The iPod did almost nothing to slow the bullet down. Just read some of the comments in this thread about how some people have shot BBs through parts of the iPods. Obviously a bullet is not going to be slowed by a few pieces of plastic and thin metal...

Your comment made it sound like somehow his armor did not do its job, which it in fact did do - it stopped the bullet. The iPod did not save him at all...his body armor did.

ya, the i pod helped a little. It dissipates the force of the projectile more then you would think.

Or it could have deflected the bullet enough that the approach angle to the body armor that it did not penetrate.

flexible material are much more resistant than a piece of steel for example.

I have shot a FMJ 7.62x39 bullet through a 1/4 in. steel plate.

The armor we use is designed to stop up to three 7.62x39mm rounds, but it doesnt always work and youll still get the wind knocked out of you. This armor is old though.

o ya, the muzzle energy from a 7.62 round will do that and leave a heck of a bruise. But. it is better then a 60's vintage flack vest.

i can tell u from experiance that and ipod played no role in the prevention of the bullet, if he had a standard issue flak vest, and wore is correctly, meaning he had correct size sappi (inch thick sheet of metal and a thin layer of fiberglass) inside the the flak its effectiveness is up to 7.62 round at 100m or more. flaks are mainly designed to prevent shrapnal from IED and such. my guess is that the ipod was in an outside pocket of his deuce gear not on his cammy breast pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom