iPhone 4s or Galaxy S 2?

Which phone would you buy? (Post what phone if "other" is chosen)

• iPhone 4s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galaxy S 2

• other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
kman will you please get out of my thread? at least they are listing reasons why it is better and simply not just saying it is better.. Now your just arguing that people hate apple on this forum and no **** if you go to the mac forums it would the other way around. We are not giving in to fanboyism here. cold hard facts. So unless you are going to list phone facts then stay out.

back on the topic of what I should get please. I have about 5 days to make my decision (get paid on the 12th).

Actual HELP is appreciated. saying iphone because people here hate it is not legit reason to get the iphone over the s2.

I already mentioned most of these things on Face book to you, but i will reiterate them here. All these points are from personal opinion and some experience with 2 android phones, Motorola xoom, galaxy tab 10.1, the Ipad 1 and 2, the Iphone 3gs(my current phone for 2.5 years) and the Iphone 4.

Iphone 4s

Pros for The Iphone 4s:

Camera:
The new camera that has been implemented on the Iphone 4s looks to be quite a pro to me. The new optic design, iris, and light sensor looks to have drastically improved both colour quality, lighting, and clarity. The photo clarity I doubt is rivalled by the S2 but I have not used this phone or seen pictures taken by it so I cannot say for sure. The 1080p video with real time stabilization seems to make quite a difference for when you want to pull out your phone and take a quick video of something. No more shaky cam crap. I doubt the 1080p will be any better than the S2 (if it does indeed record in 1090p 30fps) but considering the video stabilization I would give the Iphone 4s the edge in this department.

Geo Tagging:
I love this new feature. I honestly have no idea if there is a way to do it on android but i think its pretty cool, and personally for me it would be super useful.

Music:
I highly prefer the iPod/iTunes interfaces over androids music listening experience. It has everything you need in a very simplistic arrangement, and podcasts are right there on iTunes for you. I have not used many third party apps on android though, so if anyone has experience that trumps what I just said with an app that makes it better, let me know. But to be honest, the iPod/iTunes combination is pretty great. Everything you could possibly want, music, movies, tv shows, and podcasts are pretty readily available for you on an Iphone.

Screen:
The retina display has quite awesome pixel density per inch. I really liked that about the iphone 4 (that's about all i liked though :p)

Apps:
You have 35 dollars worth of apps for IOS already. The Apple App store is also a very matured app store. In my opinion the Apple app store has a larger number of superior apps in both quality and function.

Call quality:
Theoretically speaking the Iphone 4s should have great call quality with its antenna design, no better or worse than the s2, but not as crappy as the Ip4

Siri: I know that you said you would never use it, but it still is a pro that the S2 does not have. Siri is like speech recognition software on a computer, the more you use it, the better it can do what you say. Who knows, you may try it out and love it. Then you can go walking around town talking to your phone.

Cons for the Iphone 4s:

Screen:
The Colour reproduction on the Iphone 4s I would wager is less than the Sup Amo screen on the S2

Front Facing Camera:
The front facing camera on the iphone 4s like the iphone 4 is still only vga quality.

Customization:
Practically no customization, and contrary to apples beliefs, changing the background is not a feat of customization.

Battery:
The Battery life is less than that of the S2 by what I have seen and read online, but how that translates into real world battery life is an entirely different story, one that I cannot comment on because I has to do with how you use your phone and how and when you charge it. According to online articles, the S2 has better battery life in both 3g, browsing, and standby time.

Texting:
The screen is not as good for txting. Again I have never used the S2 but i have used other android phones with similar screens and they seemed much easier to txt on, and less incorrectly hit letters occurred.

Design:
The iphone 4 has a thin, sleek, strong design, but the glass is sort of annoying, and if you drop that one too many times on a bad angle that is going to crack.

Samsung Galaxy S 2

Pros For the GSII:

Screen:
The screen on the S2 is larger, this might be better, or worse for you. Personally I find the iphone to be just about the right size for my pocket, anything bigger would be too big for me. Given the S2 has a bigger screen I'm guessing it has larger dimensions to match it. The super Amoled screen that the S2 features has better colour reproduction like I said earlier as well.

Music:
Supports flac, which for me is not really a need, because I don't really have that large of a flac library, but if you do then that is a big pro.

Customization:
Android is much more customizable then IOS. Including the fact that you can have widgets. Personally I dislike widgets. I find it no easier to use a widget then go into an application. So this is no pro for me at all, but it might be for you. (keep in mind you can get widgets on the iphone using cydia, I have never attempted this however, and it does void your warranty to jail break your iphone)

Front Facing Camera:
The front facing camera on the S2 unlike the iphone 4 and 4s is 2mp, instead of vga, sure not much of a difference when it comes right down to it, but it is still a slight advantage.

Ram: The S2 has more ram. How well the phone is optimized to use this ram however is the difference from this being a pro or not. Seeing as i don't have experience with either of these phones to compare them, im going to make the assumption that the S2 will get a tad bit of an advantage from the extra ram.

Flash:
Supports flash

Cons for the GSII:

I have most likely mentioned all these cons above but I will reiterate them again here.

Screen:
Has less pixel density. (con could be the larger screen size as well, that's is completely your personal preference however)

Apps:
The android market place is less matured, and in my opinion does not have the number of quality apps that the apple app store. I don't have a vast amount of experience with the android market place however, so someone like mac would be able to comment on this better.

Design:
The larger screen size makes the overall phone larger as well. This is a con for me, and I'm pretty sure it is for you as well by what you have told me in the past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All these pros and cons for each device are pretty even, they are both great phones. It all comes down to your weighting system on the pros of each device. For instance if flac audio and a front facing camera quality are big concerns for you then the S2 is the way to go. If rear camera, and the Apple app store are your wants, then the iphone 4s is where it at.

This spew was not very well thought out but i hope i brought up some thoughts for people to think about, and gave you some information to make your decision.

I already mentioned most of these things on Face book to you, but i will reiterate them here. All these points are from personal opinion and some experience with 2 android phones, Motorola xoom, galaxy tab 10.1, the Ipad 1 and 2, the Iphone 3gs(my current phone for 2.5 years) and the Iphone 4.

Iphone 4s

Pros for The Iphone 4s:

Camera:
The new camera that has been implemented on the Iphone 4s looks to be quite a pro to me. The new optic design, iris, and light sensor looks to have drastically improved both colour quality, lighting, and clarity. The photo clarity I doubt is rivalled by the S2 but I have not used this phone or seen pictures taken by it so I cannot say for sure.

Call quality:
Theoretically speaking the Iphone 4s should have great call quality with its antenna design, no better or worse than the s2, but not as crappy as the Ip4

Samsung Galaxy S 2

Pros For the GSII:

Screen:
The screen on the S2 is larger, this might be better, or worse for you. Personally I find the iphone to be just about the right size for my pocket, anything bigger would be too big for me. Given the S2 has a bigger screen I'm guessing it has larger dimensions to match it. The super Amoled screen that the S2 features has better colour reproduction like I said earlier as well.

Cons for the GSII:

I have most likely mentioned all these cons above but I will reiterate them again here.

Apps:
The android market place is less matured, and in my opinion does not have the number of quality apps that the apple app store. I don't have a vast amount of experience with the android market place however, so someone like mac would be able to comment on this better.

No offense but you come across as a fanboy in the boded sections. You state how the iPhone should be better in several categories while admitting you don't actually know the SGS2's capabilities.

In regards to the camera I have heard multiple Galaxy S2 owners state that the time to take a picture apple gave in their kyenote is a complete lie, big surprise given the company we are talking about.

Lets keep the claws sheathed everybuddy :D

Luke, I will say I agree with Puddle on one thing he called you out on
The Apple App store is also a very matured app store. In my opinion the Apple app store has a larger number of superior apps in both quality and function.
You admitted yourself in that same post you don't know much at all about the Android market or what apps are available, so seems like a groundless statement. While it may be true (in that it truly IS your opinion at this moment), it's not a fair comment because you've only really explored the Apple store side of things as of yet.

As for the music side of things, nitestick showed me a pretty win app for it. I forget the name off the top of my head, think it was rocksomething? rokbox? I'll ask him later.

I can only say that both phones have their merit. Having owned an Android device I know that it is a great phone to have with all of the options you have to make it your own. Launchers, themes, SMS Apps, IM apps and all of that.

But as Oreo said, if you currently have money invested in Apple with iTunes or an iPod Touch, you could just carry that over to the iPhone as well and save yourself money that way.

Both have free apps, both have paid apps. Which market/appstore has more of what you are looking for? You can search them both out and at least get grounds for a basis that way.

I have given my personal experience using each device. Your experience may differ as it has for some others who use the iPhone has responded. They dont have any issues. I cant say that from my experience using the iPhone 4 or with my sister who owns the iPhone 3GS. The first being on Verizon and the latter being on AT&T. I have had dropped calls more on iOS than Android. It could be my area, it could be the provider. But when using Android or WP7 and the same carrier in the same area, I dont get the same issues.

Lets keep the claws sheathed everybuddy :D

Luke, I will say I agree with Puddle on one thing he called you out on

You admitted yourself in that same post you don't know much at all about the Android market or what apps are available, so seems like a groundless statement. While it may be true (in that it truly IS your opinion at this moment), it's not a fair comment because you've only really explored the Apple store side of things as of yet.

As for the music side of things, nitestick showed me a pretty win app for it. I forget the name off the top of my head, think it was rocksomething? rokbox? I'll ask him later.

Rock box is a open source mp3 player firmware. I used to have it on my ipod video but it was pretty ghetto. I realized I could do everything i need with stock firmware. I am leaning more towards the iPhone just because I am used to the platform. I still have at least 5 days to decide though. I like the debate threads and hearing opinions as long as it doesn't get hostel.

No offense but you come across as a fanboy in the boded sections. You state how the iPhone should be better in several categories while admitting you don't actually know the SGS2's capabilities.

In regards to the camera I have heard multiple Galaxy S2 owners state that the time to take a picture apple gave in their kyenote is a complete lie, big surprise given the company we are talking about.

The camera should theoretically be better by reading the specs. So i said i doubt the s2 can match it. The iphone 4s will have better call quality then the iphone 4. How are either of these statements fanboyism?
As to the app store comment. I have used both app stores, and i have found far more quality apps on the apple app store then the android store, that is not being a fanboy, that is using my personal experience with the app stores. Seems to me you just want to find fault with someones thoughts.
when i said i dont have much experience with the android market place i meant it as i have not dug through the **** thing looking for the odd apps that will suit my needs properly. The top apps on the android market place i have found or not as good as their apple equivalents. My comment does indeed have grounds.

I am not a fanboy by any means. I didn't even say which one i like better, for all you know puddle i could like the S2 better. My post was comparing phone features based on my experience, not which platform i like better.

I have both phones and I prefer the Galaxy.

Hmm, no you don't. But i am going to say you thought the thread was about the IP4 and not the S. Okay so even though my opinion the actual poll part being pointless i will happily help in the debate for which you should get, S2 or IP4S.

S2:

SAMOLED Screen is going to look nice.
Large screen is going to be nice.
Lots of different connection types, wifi direct etc.
It uses Android (If thats your thing, i guess it's a positive)
Camera is great

However:

It's bigger
It's not of the same 'premium' build quality. That's not to say it's not good, and it is quite likely more dureable than IP4S.
Android fragmentation
Sketchy app store quality

Now for IP4S:

Super high PPI display
Fairly accurate IPS display, though not as contrasty as SAMOLED.
Premium build quality, high strength glass and a alloy body built to extremely tight tolerances. But if you drop it on something hard, you will be heading to the Apple store..
Siri could be very useful, depending on how you use your phone.
Customer service from Apple is usually exemplary.
Matured app store
Probably slightly better camera. The iPhone 4's camera was the best when it came out. The new sensor is more megapixels, wider aperture lens gathering 40% more light, and the pixels are still larger for better low light performance. 5 lens design.. who knows if that's a good thing, Apple claims 30% sharper pictures. Video stabilisation using the Gyro and software.
iOS5 is looking nice.

It's not of the same 'premium' build quality.
What does that mean?

But if you drop it on something hard, you will be heading to the Apple store..
So unless there's a soft surface for it to land on, it'll break. Which, btw, I can confirm. So many employees come in with shattered screens it's not funny. The fact they replace it without hassle is great, but I'd prefer not having to replace it in the first place.

If that's your thing, I guess it's a positive

Apart from that, agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom