Introduction to HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge

Solid State Member
HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is the language used to display the beautiful webpageÂ’s you browse everyday. Some pages may say they are written in PHP, CGI, or ASP, but all of those languages are evaluated before you even see anything. HTML is what makes everything look the way it does.

In this introduction, we will talk about the basic tags that HTML uses. After, hopefully, you will be able to start you own HTML document and add text, pictures, and links.

In my opinion, the best approach to learning HTML is to just see the tags and learn them one by one. The first tag you will always use is the:

Code:
<html></html>

They have no real purpose other than stating that the document is an HTML document and tells the browser to phrase it as such.

The next tags declare the header of your HTML. And declare things as the title of the page, CSS, and various meta tags. The head tags don't have a direct effect on the look of the page but it is always good to at least include this as a default header.

Code:
<head>
<title>My First Page</title>
</head>

Next are the body tags. These tags just tell where to start the body of your HTML document. Inside the body tags are everything that the user will see. Inside these tags you will find all the other tags.

Code:
<body>

Some text inside your webpage</p>
[img]http://www.yoursite.com/image.gif[/img]
[url="http://www.surrix.net"]Surrix.net[/url]
</body>

As you might be wondering, tags can take various elements inside of them. For the img tag, we see it takes 'src', which is to tell the tag where the image is located. The tag takes 'href' when it tells where to link whatever is between the a tags to. The 'body' tag can take elements as well such as ‘bgcolor’, which you can use to set the background color of the page. A quick side note, if anyone is familar with HTML, you might be wondering why there is a backslash at the end of my 'img' tag a full explantion is found in this post or the post below this one.

As I have given you a taste of all the basic tags, it is time for you to learn more. As I said above, the best way is to just have the tags and play around with them until you find what you like. An excellent resource for this is WebMonkey's HTML Cheat Sheet. For special HTML effects, HTML Goodies is a good resource.

This tutorial was reposted from Surrix.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom