Internet Regulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone kindly explain to me Net Neutrality.

Is it something that would allow the Government to regulate the internet? Or is it something that allows more freedom amond the internet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

In short, it prevents an ISP from censoring sites based on cost. In essence, site a gets the same ability to be on the internet as site b.

Without network neutrality, opportunities like Youtube, among other startups, would not have been able to come online, due to it being cost prohibitive.

I had about a page of things typed, but my session timed out.

hillbillybob said:
Agreed, the Internet was not created to allow whoever has the biggest buck to get the most. It is freedom, in the most raw form. Yes, there is alot of crap on the net, but that is part of being a responsible user of a system constantly updated by the users.

HEY SEN. STEVENS, the reason your email (the "internet" sent by his staff) was so late was because you have an incompetent moron running the system.

Now, I wouldnt have a single problem with the government setting their own portion of the net aside just for govt purposes. I think that will be vital, but dont let ISPs decide what we can see by granting sites over others. That censorship on par with china.

The government DOES have its own "internet" it was the first system that was created in the 60's. Then when it caught on they started another system. Both systems are completly seperate. The second system, the average user uses. So I see no reason for the government to control our internet, they have there own backbone and ****... Leave ours alone.

I really don't see how it would be practical anyway. Sure, they can block this and censor that, but somebody has to monitor this stuff. And they will want to get paid. And we as taxpayers would have to pay for it. I don't see it happening. It's all about the money, but when your "customers" get mad enough, voting happens. Besides, if the govt. did start to regulate the internet, some rogue computer whiz would start his own "underground" internet. It would be like prohibition in the 20's.

charles_scott said:
The government DOES have its own "internet" it was the first system that was created in the 60's. Then when it caught on they started another system. Both systems are completly seperate. The second system, the average user uses. So I see no reason for the government to control our internet, they have there own backbone and ****... Leave ours alone.

hmmm...I thought they just used the same network, and secured it. I guess I was talking a whole seperate set of cables.

either way, we agree on the same basic thing.

Leave the internet alone.

They are already trying to get this internet rating thing going. It is kinda like the tv or movie ratings.

I can't find the link but we talked about it in my issues in american society class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom