Internet Data Heads for 500 Billion Gigabytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems way wrong. Seriously, how on earth did they figure that out ?

I'd guess like, 20000 Terabytes.

Naw, it's so easy to underestimate the size of teh interwebs. Ok, take one site for example, something like google. How many people use that? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Millions?
Then add myspace, facebook, youtube and wikipedia into the mix and I guarentee you'll already have a hefty sized chunk of data there.

And that's only 5 sites so far. the internet is truly massive. 500 Bn gigs might even be too conservative. But hey, who really knows exactly how big?

This whole thread is making me think "If the internet was a planet, then how big would it be?"

i thought teh internets was like a petabyte,

Petabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that what wiki says.

I remember talking with some of my freinds once about this. We came to the conclusion that the next step up from Yottabyts should be called LOLWUTAbytes

Megan and I have been dying to see Avenue Q fir the longest time. For us to hit up broadway plus tickets is about a $300+ USD day. We have been hoping that at some point someone nice will give us the tickets for a gift. lol

Live shows are rarely ever cheap. However I would consider paying it if I had the chance.

Yoda Bites!

Pixels Per $ graph - Hendy's Law
350px-Hendys_Law.jpg

HDD capacity over time
600px-Hard_drive_capacity_over_time.svg.png

Notice that these are logarithmic tables.

HDD's went from about 100 GB's to 1000 GB's in 10 years. so a 10 TB hdd can be expected by about 2015 give or take. Unless IBM's nanoelectronics takes off sooner...

Memresistors may replace all current spintronics, flash, and memory with something exponentially more efficient.

nah..there is a thread somewhere here that mentions some news station getting like hundreds or thousands of 1TB harddrives for storage...so if you say the internet is only a PB then that news station is the internet :p

About 12 years ago I went to Progress Energy's (at the time Carolina Power and Light) data center. Even then they had about 8 TB of storage on hand. This was equivalent to about 1000 PC's at the time.

I remember wondering what on earth they could have used all that for? Now, realizing that quality images and video (which they would keep for documentation purposes) could easily fill up that 8 TB in a month.

Also, I went back to do an installation project there... they have about 12,000 PC's in my state alone, and each user has their My Docs, some of them well over 1 GB... plus whatever official documents they might store...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom