Intel offers $1m for a Viiv-based Mac Mini killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole Mac Mini killer thing was Warez Monster's making, because I didn't see it in the article anywhere either. :umm:

The General said:
I think the whole Mac Mini killer thing was Warez Monster's making, because I didn't see it in the article anywhere either. :umm:

Well, he didn't say it; the article he copied said it.

Meh, mac's are ok. (sorry, just had to throw that in)

I thought VIIV was Intel's grab at the home entertainment market. watch your videos, listen to your music, play your games all from one console in the living room.

I read the original article, and it did state that Intel wanted a "sexier" machine, rather than the "big beige box" so that maybe where some people got the mac mini killer part. Im not saying Warez, but anyone else who reads/republishes.

Also, the original article didn't mention cold hard cash, but 1 m in prizes. That says to me that Intel wants the rights to this design, or maybe they would give the design team a job. I don't think it has anything to do with cold hard cash.

As for 1 m being a whole lot, no it isn't. Not with a 2nd quarterly earning/profit of 4.17 million just in 2006 alone.

From a BBC article, "Intel is offering $1m in prizes to designers and manufacturers who can come up with sexier alternatives to the "big beige box". The competition is open to PC designers and manufacturers worldwide and each company may submit up to five different designs. The grand prize winner will receive $300,000 (£159,000) to enable the mass production of the system and $400,000 (£212,000) to co-market the design with Intel. The runner-up will receive up to $300,000 to help with manufacturing costs."

Its just wierd that they would even use the term "Big Beige Box" Because if you look at the computers of today, there ARE NO beige boxes anymore. Dells are all black or silver, HP's are black and or silver, IBM's are black, eMachines are silver and black, Macs are all white or silver (or black) there's no beige anywhere these days.
This whole thing is just strange...

I'm sure Microsoft has something to do with it. :rolleyes:

The grand prize winner will receive $300,000 (£159,000) to enable the mass production of the system and $400,000 (£212,000) to co-market the design with Intel.
Crazy how 33% more goes into marketing than the actual production of the product. I wonder how they would invest in R&D if they had included that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom