Intel Invests $7billion + 32nm processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4x3r

AKA ComatoseClown
from: DVICE: Intel unveils super-packed 32nm processors, invests $7 bil to make them in the US

Intel is moving beyond the 45nm chip into denser territory. The company gave a first-ever demo of a 32nm Westmere chip — though no performance benchmarks are available at this time — and rumor has it that the packed processors could make their way into laptops as early as this year. We're inclined to believe that rumor as Intel just sank $7 billion dollars into American factories in Arizona, New Mexico and Oregon, and Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini even got a call from President Obama to commend him.

From Computer World:

Otellini said Obama called him last night to congratulate him on company's decision. The president "reminded me that he sees the Intel logo every morning when he opens up his laptop; I was pleased to hear that," he noted.

Intel's move to produce the chips in the US as opposed to overseas will come as a boon to American labor, and its $7 billion is an investment in American infrastructure. The company could have scored incentives by going with foreign plants already geared to produce 32nm chips, which will most likely replace 45nm processors as the most profitable chip configuration to manufacture very soon.

I really commend Intel on their move to create more jobs in the US economy....for this "bad business" move i will probably forever support them.....not to be a fan boy or anything...but i'm really glad they have taken such a stance and are willing to do their part to help the economy

Glad to hear there's still large companies that want to help out the economy here.

That's great to hear, I'm stoked to see what Intel rolls out next. I live really close to the Oregon factory, only about 30-40min drive west. Intel is a HUGE part of our local economy. It's great news, especially considering how expensive it is to run a business here in Oregon. My good friends father works there as well, hopefully he won't be getting let go soon ha.

Wow, if only BT would invest that much in fiber for the UK. The whole of the UK could have fiber for that money.....

Sorry, i just went into a fantasy land of perfect internet after having the worst internet connection ever for 3 weeks.

But yeh, nice move intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom