Insurance on a Thunderbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Just turned 16, got my license, and im looking for a car. I buy the car, my dad pays the insurance. Fair enough. I found a niccce looking 1995 thunderbird 4.6 v8, only 100,000 miles for 1700. My dad said the car looks amazing for the price, but he said the insurance would be high, so he doesnt want me to buy it. How high would the insurance be on that compared to say a taurus?

thunderbirds are classified as a sports car i believe so insurance can be really high depending on where you live and what provider.

side not, youll end up spending more on gas with the v8 then insurance a month

I have to agree with Fade. They are classified as a sports car and the insurance for a new driver will be very high.

Plus with Gas prices at over $4 a gallon you will be spending more in gas than insurance a month. You would be better off with the Taurus. It will get better gas milage and the insurance will be lower.

You can just hit up Progressive or Geico's website and they'll give you a quote. You could easily be looking at $300-400/month for a car like that at your age. Plus gas would be ridiculous on top of that. Not worth it! Just get like a Focus or a Corolla or something like that. Good car, dependable, and good mileage.

You can just hit up Progressive or Geico's website and they'll give you a quote. You could easily be looking at $300-400/month for a car like that at your age. Plus gas would be ridiculous on top of that. Not worth it! Just get like a Focus or a Corolla or something like that. Good car, dependable, and good mileage.

Very true. Or go with a small truck. Usually those are cheap on insurance too. But at 16 it doesn't matter what you drive, the insurance will be sky high.

Unless the car is in his dad's name and on his parent's insurance. Sure they will have to add him to the insurance as a driver, but it would be cheaper than having the car and insurance on his name alone. If you really need a good car look for a Honda Civic manual transmission. Mine is a 1995 with 218,000 miles and still gets 35-40 mpg even when I do a lot of city driving.

Very true. Or go with a small truck. Usually those are cheap on insurance too. But at 16 it doesn't matter what you drive, the insurance will be sky high.

If you do the bare minimum the state requires (atleast here in NC) its less then $100 a month, more for a sports car, but for everything else its fairly cheap

If you just turned 16 you are required to be on your parents policy. (minor) So what vehicles does your dad currently have on his policy? FOr example, your dad has a 1995 honda civic or something he drives. Put that as YOUR primary vehicle on the insurance and then add the thunderbird. This way you are still covered in any of the vehicles on the insurance policy and your not paying the insane amounts for being primary on the thunderbird.

About the gas mileage, the 4.6 can do 23-25 on the highway and 17-18 average with city/highway combined.

Try to get some student discounts, some (or most?) insurance places offer some discounts for students that have good grades (3.0 or better I believe) and what not. That Thunderbird will eat gas like crazy though. At 16, a 4 cylinder car would suit you better than a Thunderbird just because you'll probably be driving around a lot, and a 4 cylinder civic/protege type car are good on gas and easy to maintain. But of course it's up to you, either way congrats on the license and be safe on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom