[INDIANS] Is there some cultural thing that I am missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rakesh_1024 said:
We males tend to assume that the student knows something and he can understand anything we say.
Here is where the problem lies.
Males tutors are preferred for those who want to acquire in-depth knowledge on the subject not for basics.

That is pretty much understandable there. Like it was about year 3 before I had my first male school teacher.

But the question really is am i missing out on some cultural thing for the Indians here as the question of "Is the tutor female?" only seems to come from the Indian customers.

Like in India, do the magority the male teachers give you the fine nitty gritty of what you need to know, while the magority female teachers just give you the brush down on the basics?

That's a little bit of a generalization, isn't it? I know that I much prefer to explain in-depth knowledge to people, and if they don't know the basics yet, I usually tell them to ask someone else or figure it out themselves. It's pretty presumptious to draw that conclusion based on one female teacher and one male teacher...
It is not based on one female teacher and one male teacher.
A mojority of females tend to mug up things rathar than understand them.
Thats the reason why males are preffered to teach subjects like Maths and Physics while females are preffered for subjects like English, Moral Science and Social studies for schools in India.

Btw how many females are members of this forum.

rakesh_1024 said:
It is not based on one female teacher and one male teacher.
A mojority of females tend to mug up things rathar than understand them.
Thats the reason why males are preffered to teach subjects like Maths and Physics while females are preffered for subjects like English, Moral Science and Social studies for schools in India.

Btw how many females are members of this forum.

** having an asthma attack from laughing so hard **

"mug things up rathar than understand them." ?????
Well I'm amused, very amused. Talk about a stereotype!

There are quite a few females on this forum.
** peeks down her shirt to check **
Yeppers, all female here. :D

But the question really is am i missing out on some cultural thing for the Indians here as the question of "Is the tutor female?" only seems to come from the Indian customers.

Some of the parents feel that their son would behave infront of a female tutor. They have more faith in females.
For example, in India if a son goes out of their hand, the first thing that would come to a parent's mind would probably be to bring a wife for him.

I don't know why but I think their reasoning is true. In Indian colleges the students behave if the professor is a female.
Might be because Indians have more respect for females.

Females normally have more patience than males.
This could be one more reason.
Males tend to get easily irritated if the student asks some silly question and we might reply in a manner that would hurt him.(like "U don't even know that" etc)

Some of them say that boys and girls are equal in all aspects.
But they are not.
In some fields boys fare better and in some fields girls fare better.
The intensity and locality of the active spots of Male and Female brains are normally different.
Hence the capabilities of a M & a F are different in different areas.

note: The above facts do not consider a small minority of human beings whose brain activities match those of their opposite sex.

Anyway,
if any one feels offended because of my replies, I am sorry.

Cell mentioned to me 'bout this thread quite some time back .. but i never really found the time to look it up ..

Anywayz .. let me start off my sayin' this .. As far as i know It's not a culrural thng ..or anythin' of that sort ..that an indian dude ..looks only for a female tutor ..

It's probably a silly group of frustrated indian guys ..who (as emily suggested) think of this as a last option to score :p

posted by rakesh_1024Some of the parents feel that their son would behave infront of a female tutor. They have more faith in females.
For example, in India if a son goes out of their hand, the first thing that would come to a parent's mind would probably be to bring a wife for him.
I don't know why but I think their reasoning is true. In Indian colleges the students behave if the professor is a female.

As far as all the posts by rakesh ... i really donno what to say ..
Firstly ... dude what century r we livin' in .. I didn't even think such stuff existed still :rolleyes:

N' to conclude .. There are all kinds of people all over the world .. doin' crazy stuff which we can barely imagine.
So why bother judgein' or havin' a biased mind on people based on thier nationality, race ectc..

Why can't we just let things be the way they are n' carry on which our lives :confused:

Phew!!.. that's been a long post .. **shakin' head n' noddin' at the same time **

rakesh_1024 said:
But they are not.
The intensity and locality of the active spots of Male and Female brains are normally different.

note: The above facts do not consider a small minority of human beings whose brain activities match those of their opposite sex.

Anyway,
if any one feels offended because of my replies, I am sorry.

Well, I'm not offended, the question was asking if there are cultural differences/perceptions that should be considered and I found your replies to be forthright and honest. :)

There is truth in that differences between male and female brain result in the sexes having differeing strengths. However, in my personal opinion,how we socialize children as they are maturing I believe is a more important factor in shaping their ways of thinking and acheiving.

But they are not.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with females not really understanding things and males understanding things in depth, like you originally said.

Emily said:
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with females not really understanding things and males understanding things in depth, like you originally said.

The question was about cultural perception.

This is how their culture perceives the genders and their abilities, which explains why the gentlelman was asking if they had a female instructor.

The question was answered.

Perhaps a discussion on gender bias and cultural perceptions and how they affect socialization would be best served by starting a new thread? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom