I'm thinking about Ditching al my Systems.

Yeah I'd turn them off. I had about two dozen machines running at my old house at one point, but most were in use. (5 people)... Our electricity bill was insane :tongue:

Now I only have one machine running 24/7, my 200W server. ~30% use on average.

You gotta just ask your self, What do you need the old stuff for?

I can't bring my self to throw them out. I know it costs a Small Fortune to run on the Electric but they are still fully functional and I can use them for the like of Rosetta and Seti@Home. Being Boinc Based projects.

If you only used one PC, you could upgrade it or get the parts for a new pc with the money you save from dropping your electric bill

I'll be honest I've upgraded the Chassis on two of my PC's and one PSU on my Duel Core, I'm going threw that now as in upgrades with the two PC's I have decent chassis for but the only thing or problem I've got it parting with my equipment knowing they will end up in a Landfill or being the Communal Bins for the block of Flats I live in.

Personally I'm going to hold on to them for the time being and see what happens in the near future as I mite just ditch them and go for something Swanky and new.

Heck, why not just, you know, unplug them and let them sit in the corner till you can afford good hardware from the power savings you would get?

As much as I applaud your efforts with SETI and Folding @ home, I was doing the same thing with my machines, and had to give them up in favor of saving money. I still have t machines, but only use them as needed now. Gotta make cuts where you can to save now-a-days.

And I agree with Carnage... Donate the older machines to a local church or shelter, etc... I'm sure they can use them for basic needs... And heck, our "older" equipment will probably be better than most peoples by a good margin. LOL :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom