I'm screwed... :fyi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
She found a new job in 4 days? That's one heck of a city you live in. The average unemployment length is 6 months. Now would be a good time to start a savings account so you don't have to sweat a car payment the next time one of you is unemployed.

95BlackGA i can fully sympathize with your situation. I took a job at a local retail store just to have some extra cash coming in. Not the job i wanted but we needed the money as we were starting to get into credit trouble with having almost all our cards maxed out. Now with taxes coming back soon (yes my wife already filed them) and her bonus we are set to pay off all but 1 credit card. Which we are going to have a extra $400 a month from that alone. So we can put more toward that last card and get that paid off as well.

After that we are setting it up so that my check gets split to different accounts to setup a college fund, retirement fund and a vacation fund. While it wont be much going into them since i only make minimum wage, something is better than nothing right?

She found a new job in 4 days? That's one heck of a city you live in. The average unemployment length is 6 months. Now would be a good time to start a savings account so you don't have to sweat a car payment the next time one of you is unemployed.

Well, it wasn't just luck... The people had been watching her for about 6 months, seeing what she was doing at her studio, 'cause she was one of the busiest around, yet only had 1 bay in a kiosk, as opposed to 3-4 bays in a store front location. Once they heard the news that this company was shutting down, they came up to her and offered her a position.

95BlackGA i can fully sympathize with your situation. I took a job at a local retail store just to have some extra cash coming in. Not the job i wanted but we needed the money as we were starting to get into credit trouble with having almost all our cards maxed out. Now with taxes coming back soon (yes my wife already filed them) and her bonus we are set to pay off all but 1 credit card. Which we are going to have a extra $400 a month from that alone. So we can put more toward that last card and get that paid off as well.

After that we are setting it up so that my check gets split to different accounts to setup a college fund, retirement fund and a vacation fund. While it wont be much going into them since i only make minimum wage, something is better than nothing right?

Glad to hear you're going to be better off soon!!! We had a credit card, but once we figured it would take quite a bit longer to find jobs, we cut it up. With hospital, car, home, and utility bills, we just could have more debt that we would not be able to pay off.

We've had enough in savings to hold us over, but now all our accounts are empty, and the main account is over drawn. Still have rent to pay too. :hrmph: Good thing is, we've already filed taxes, and it's scheduled to be cleared and in our bank on the second. However, it's FAR FAR less than what we though. :silly: It should be able to hold us over, and help us move.

Well we are fortunate to not have to cut up our CC. We have been blessed to not have any hospital bills. Wife and child are covered with insurance and none of us have been sick, knock on wood. So we only have our normal expenses to cover. With getting back almost $10K between taxes and the bonus it will help a ton. But it is sad to think that even after all that money we still wont have all bills caught up. But before summer we should.

Mak, smart moves, mate. Way to go !

@ all (especially the younger peeps out there)
I should have started a 401k fund much earlier than I did. If you have 401k available take advantage of it. Just $20 per week calculates to $1,000,000 in something like 20 years at 7% (not exactly sure, but I calculated it in Excel with a loan calculator). Point is, do it now and you will be glad you did.

Yes right now we are figuring about $50 a check (we get paid bi-weekly) into each the Retirement and College fund. We should have roughly $20K for college by the time she is ready and cant remember the exact amount for retirement but we should be set for at least a year. XD

Yes right now we are figuring about $50 a check (we get paid bi-weekly) into each the Retirement and College fund. We should have roughly $20K for college by the time she is ready and cant remember the exact amount for retirement but we should be set for at least a year. XD

well if she has your smarts hopefully she'll get a free ride and you will get some extra vacation money :p

If that is the case, it will be used for her first car or something then. :p

Why? We have them take more taxes out through out the year to make sure we get money back. Would rather have them take more money than have to pay them come tax time. There is no law saying that you have to have them take out more taxes. So what if I claim single zero on my taxes to basically guarantee that i get a refund? It just ensures that i am making sure that they get their cut up front and i get back the extra they took from me throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom