I'm screwed... :fyi:

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Need somewhere to vent...

My girl was an employee for Kiddie Kandids Portrait Studio. She was the studio manager. She made $30k/year, which in my area, is quite decent... Some of you may have heard that Kiddie Kandids is filing for bankruptcy, most likely those of you in Utah, where the headquarters are. Basically, she gets on her conference call today, with her district manager, and she tells my girl too call back in about 5 minutes. My girlfriend took that time to check the studio's email. The email was pretty much saying, "Thanks for all the free work for the past 3 weeks, now get out, and get lost." She had a $2000 paycheck coming this week with her gain share in it.

She was the only one working at the moment, as I am between jobs. We depended on this money, to survive. They have no intentions to pay that last 3 weeks of labor for any of their employees.

I get a call at around 11a.m., and answer it to hear my girl cryin' and telling me she lost her job, and has no idea what we're going to do. I start freakin' out knowing that my car payment is due, electric is due, and rent is soon to be due. So she spends half the day looking for a new job, gets 3-5 interviews for the next week to come. I go to my boss' house, to talk to him about how long it's going to take him to get **** situated, and for us to start making money. It's still going to be at least a month... He's got to buy a new company truck, and more holding tanks. He's starting a WVO (wasted vegetable oil) recycling plant. I ask him if he can loan me a few bucks, and just take it out of my first check. He says sure, but only had $50 to loan me, as he too only has about $500 to last him, until he starts to profit.

I don't complain, 'cause I understand he needs that money to get the business going so I can then start making money. He offered me both account management position, and truck driving position as soon as I can "tank endorsements," and can prove I can drive a truck with a liquid tank. So, in all that's about the best news I've heard all day. Still going to be AT LEAST a month for him to be able to get my truck running, and have money to pay for accounts.

My girl is so upset, and everything I do to try and comfort her just makes her to were she doesn't want to talk about anything, or even do anything. So far, she doesn't seem too far out there, but I know better.

Anyway... /rant

Do what I do. Keep telling yourself that you will gert around this situation some how. That's what I do.

Do what I do. Keep telling yourself that you will gert around this situation some how. That's what I do.

Oh trust me, I know that my mindset has to be positive, or else I'll just bury myself in misery and have anxiety about getting a new job, or when I'll be able to pay my rent, ect. ect. I'm just thankful that my daughter is at such a young age that she doesn't realize what's going on.

I don't think they can legally not pay her for work performed. I don't know how that all works with a BK, but she should still be able to get her money that is owed to her. They could cut any employer paid benefits, but not wages. I would absolutely fight it tooth and nail and get that pay!

UPDATE: I just looked around. Obviously, it depends on the law in your state, but it looks like she will probably have to file a claim and that claim will get precedence over unsecured creditors.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...tcy&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Hate to hear it, mate. A lot of that going around lately. Synergy is right, though... they have to pay her for the hours she has put in but it might have to come through the courts to get it.

Hang in there and look to the future. You can't avoid the present, but there's no need to dwell on how bad things seem right now. And make sure you (both of you) don't do anything stupid that would make matters worse... going into debt for something you don't need, blowing money on booze to "forget your worries", and crap like that.

So, I actually talked to an attorney yesterday and brought this up. He said they do have the right to withhold pay. They will file for BK, then the court will liquidize their assets. After that they will pay any taxes due--you know, the government gets their chunk first :( From there any money left over will be used to pay withheld wages claims, then unsecured creditors get the last bit of money, if any.

This has actually been on the news here (Utah) and there are a whole load of people that are really upset about the same thing (as they totally should be.)

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your wife and colleagues should get together and file a collective complain. It may speed things up.

What kind've company does that !?

That's crazy. I thought they had to give you a minimum of 3 weeks notice + 1 week for every extra year you've worked there ? + some extra pay. Or is that for being made redundent ?

It may not be much but places like fast food restaurents and supermarkets are always hiring staff, and now can be considered a good time as all the temporary staff for crimbo are leaving. Sure, it won't be 30k. But it will definitely help for the short term on paying the vital bills.

^ Here in the US it's not that easy...people are having hard times even finding jobs at fast food places and stuff. You can't replace an already over-qualified person in a position flipping burgers. It's horrible right now. Not sure why there are saying the recession is over..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom