I love Dekstops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
Nowadays...alot of people seem to just use laptops...most of my friends don't even have desktops...I could never do that.

I love adding parts to my desktop. I love being able to fix -anything- short of my PC being hit by a semi (and I could still salvage the cables and ram, probably then).

What's the fascination with more expensive, less powerful, less useful, less durable laptops?

I will never be without a desktop...

the fact that you can pick it up and go wherever you want with it
i would love to have a gaming laptop but they are too **** expensive

the fact that you can pick it up and go wherever you want with it
i would love to have a gaming laptop but they are too **** expensive

Plus, in a year or two, when it won't play games worth ****, you can pick it up and toss it out the window, because its lost 80% of its value in 2 years and virtually none its parts are reusable.

:D

I could never go all laptop. A decent dual core notebook is cheap enough that one can afford both a good gaming pc and an okay laptop for surfing, movies, etc. without much trouble. I love taking my notebook to school, coffee shops, friends houses, etc. but my desktop is where I really get down to business.

i have a 2 year old laptop with a p4 mobile and 512 ram that i use all the time
its great for web surfing, schhol work, and folding
and what happens to a computerafter 2 years????
it becomes **** and by that time theres already a new socket and new ram and all that other good stuff
try and sell a desktop from 2 years ago and see if you get half of what you pay for it , you wont

i have a 2 year old laptop with a p4 mobile and 512 ram that i use all the time
its great for web surfing, schhol work, and folding
and what happens to a computerafter 2 years????
it becomes **** and by that time theres already a new socket and new ram and all that other good stuff
try and sell a desktop from 2 years ago and see if you get half of what you pay for it , you wont

I built my P4 3ghz w/ht + 2gb of Ram + 2 DVD burners + WinTV card + Radeon 9200 (shiity even then, I bought it to keep the load off the cpu, not for gaming) + 160gb HD + 80gb HD for under $500 (its what I had saved up, I'm a teenager, so I know it wasn't over $500, lets see what I could part it out for, maybe

Would prolly go for about $300 on craigslist at the moment. Could prolly get more if I were a piece of **** like other people on craigslist and up-played my pc to the computer illiterate.

But...look at what I could salvage for a new machine out of my old one...

2 Hard drives
2 DVD burners
2 1gb Sticks of Ran
1 Video Card
1 WinTV card

Really, if I wanted to build a new system...all I'd have to buy would be the cpu/mb and maybe a case since mine is falling apart...

I could upgrade my pc to a Core 2 Duo for under $250...

With a laptop...you'd just have to buy a new one most of the time.

I'm not saying you CANT use an old laptop. Lots of people I know run puppy linux on old Pentium 1/2s and are happy with it, but its not upgradable at all.

you COULD salvage the video card but its crap lol
and the ram you could reuse but its slow ram compared to todays
hard drives can be reused MAYBE depending on the motherboard you get because if its ide most new motherboards only have one ide channel so you would have to choose between your dvd burners and you hard drives
and dvd drives from 2 years are probably really slow compared to todays

i payed about 900 for this laptop 2 years ago and i could probably sell it for 400 on ebay or something
and then i could buy a new dual core laptop for about 1000 bucks

laptops are amazing they can go places desktops cant like on business trips and hotels etc.
i actually use mine in the car all the time because i have papers to work on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom