i just starting workin out,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run three miles a week (Tue, Thur and Sat) and I usually do a "slow" mile in around 8:20 and a "fast" one in 7:20...And yah, whatever you do,(I don't know how old you are), take it "slow" (what is "slow" for me, may not be "slow" for you) in the beginning; in other words, don't try walking/jogging a mile one week and attempting to run two miles the next week.

Just my ten cents :)

EDIT: Where are you going to boot camp? Did you enlist or something?

hey! is that rhetorical? well it could be up to 3 months by the time i get on a cutter and i will have my Ibook

When you work a muscle you actually break down some of the bonds by the proteins. You get stronger, because it grows back strong, same idea as a broken bone sometimes. So, you can over do it, BUT worry about things like what you eat before you watch something like that, because if you take in the right stuff its very hard to over train.

some okay advice in there. As they mentioned, you will be sore. If you are too sore to run, walk. Too sore to walk, rest a day but then get back out there.
It sounds like you are really out of shape and have limited time. The most important thing for you is to do the exercises you will be doing at boot (jump squats are no help ir push ups or running). Talk to your recruiter and he will probably have a workout for you. Many times they will even arrange to have a group get together several times per week to prepare new recruits for boot.
Last, for your push ups, there is a concept out there called greasing the groove. If you suck at push ups and can only do 15, then every time you enter your bedroom, walk out side or some other easy marker, drop and knock out ten. try to get 100 in a day. When you do that, start doing 11 or 12 whenever you pass your mark. depending on the time you have left, you should be able to work up to at least a couple hundred per day.
The one exercise I encountered in boot that surprised me was the front leaning rest. Just stay in the push up position, locked out, for a couple minutes. You'll understand what I am talking about after about 30 seconds.
Oh, and you may want to work some leg lifts. Often drill sargeants use butterflies, supine bicycle and leg lifts to smoke recruits. Best of luck, I reallyenjoyed my Basic Training experience.

The joys of boot camp! my advice: Party your butt off and have some fun. There will be plenty of working out to do in basic.

They'll get you into shape! By the end of basic you'll be able to bust as many push ups as you want. You'll get immune to them

When i was stationed at Schofield Barraks (Hawaii), we ran 10 miles every wednesday morning (before breakfast) and did a 25 mile road march once a month. ahhhh, those were the days. ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the expreience. You'll make a lot of new friends and the experience will make a man out of you!

lol backing up what the general said earlier, working out=getting sore. you have to exercise to the point of fatigue but not "real" pain if you want any benefit. me i run everywhere :D. my magic number is 3km, i like taking runs to places basically on a radius of 3km from my house, then run the 3km back. i think the key points are to grit your teeth and get through it unless you know you are actually injuring yourself. also pick a good time of day. i've learned that running at high noon in the aussie summer=heat stroke :p

homerj14 said:
i am going to Cape may, new jersey its coast guard boot camp

I've been to cape may a few times it's really nice.

Good luck in the Coast Guard man. That's something i've always wanted to do, but never went though with it.

Something about being on a powerful boat with MP5's or AR-15's that's pretty sweet. CATCH THOSE DRUG TRANSPORTING BASS TARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom