I just smashed my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, it is his fault. But hard for him to avoid because of the bad layout of the driveway.

The drive way really sux.
1. Narrow. It's about 20 meters and only one car can fit up it. And forget about trying to drive a big trucks
2. Upwards slop going to the road. If you are driving out, it make things rather hard to see.
3. Not well marked, I remember driving pass it twice. And there as has been a few close calls with side walk traffic
4. And considering that it's a drive way, you can legally park next to the edge, therefore creating a blind spot for any one exiting the drive way.

I will be talking with the council in regards to whether this is a drive away or an allyway. After all, this section is marked as an unname street in the street directory and on my Tom Tom.
If it's an drive way, I want to know why there is no signage warning on consealed drive ways on that street.
If it's an ally way, then how come cars are legally allowed to park right up against that corner when the law states that you need to leave 1.5 meters clearance from street corners.

[UPDATE]Update... It turns out that I still have that loan car option on my insurance policy after all. That making things little easier for me as I am currently borrowing my father car. I just hope they can fix up the car with with the 14 days before I have to return it.[/UPDATE]

[UPDATE2]Thank god I had the accident on the road and not on that drive way. I just found out some thing about the drive way that had just made me diside that I am never driving my car down there again.
THe back ally way is is consided a "right of way". It's technically private property had belongs to a guy that died 60 years ago. You have a car accident there, and the insurance will not want to deal with it.
I am very unlikely to have a car accident in that area. However if I hit any one (pedestrians or cyclists) on that side walk, I will be ****ed. [/UPDATE2]

Well.... that was one day wasted. I was especting a phone call from the smash repair. Called them up and they did not have my car. So I called the tow truck company and they were waiting for me to give them confirmation to send the car there.

I though I gave them that confirmation on tuesday night when I picked up the car.

That axle usually goes straight to the transmission. So all the shock of impact is absorbed by the transmission. I've seen quite a few accidents like this and the transmission usually looks fine so no repair work is done on them, but they never last long afterwards. You'd be smart to have that damage repaired and then trade it in on a new or newer car.

What I want to know is how fast was your heart racing right after impact. It had to scare the crap out of you, even if it was only for a moment :D

I was talking with a friend that was looking at the photo. Told him that my car is a front wheel drive. He thinks that there is a good chance that my car might be a write off.
I am sort of hoping that it will be a write off too as I don't want future complications.
The other thing is that i am sort of hoping to get another car.
1. Some thing where I don't have to change the timing belt every 60 000 Km. With the amount of travel i do, that it about every 2 and bit years. My dad's car's timing belt is once every 120 000 km.
2. Some thing that will take e10. Might even consider LPG. Not really interested in Hybrid just yet. They have only been out for a few years and I would like to see how they run in the long run before i pick up one.
3. Would like bigger boot space. Car get filled up rather quickly if I am doing any POS or CCTV installs. And lets not forget my trend of being tech forums's-Person-That-Moves-House-The-Most.

I will be happy if they got back to my tomorrow afternoon. If it's a write off, then i will start car hunting this week end.

[EDIT]Car insurance is try ****ing me around. Just when I thought that I got over the worst of it, they are not trying to screw me on a technicality that I did not advise them that I lost my license in the last 2 years on my policy. Yes. I did get loose my license while i was speeding. The funny thing was that I had to renew while my license was still suspended, and normally they ask the question of how many points that I currently have left on my license. Now that they are trying to say that I would of recieved a letter with a disclaimer saying that i would of needed to contact them if I had lost my license that I would need to call them.
My question back to the insurance mob is this.... If this is so important, then how come you did not ask me over the phone when you were interviewing me when i was renewing the policy.
They are going to see if they can find the phone conversation for that time and see whether I was asked or not.
I will see what happens when they call me tomorrow.[/EDIT]

uhmm i wouldn't start saying things like you want a new car :|

it's going to look bad and they'll think you're trying to screw them over :\

[EDIT]Car insurance is try ****ing me around. Just when I thought that I got over the worst of it, they are not trying to screw me on a technicality that I did not advise them that I lost my license in the last 2 years on my policy. Yes. I did get loose my license while i was speeding. The funny thing was that I had to renew while my license was still suspended, and normally they ask the question of how many points that I currently have left on my license. Now that they are trying to say that I would of recieved a letter with a disclaimer saying that i would of needed to contact them if I had lost my license that I would need to call them.
My question back to the insurance mob is this.... If this is so important, then how come you did not ask me over the phone when you were interviewing me when i was renewing the policy.
They are going to see if they can find the phone conversation for that time and see whether I was asked or not.
I will see what happens when they call me tomorrow.[/EDIT]

Looks like I am in the clear on that on as I did my renewal over the phone last year.
I got a sinking feeling that some one at my insurance company's end forgot to cross thier t's and dot thier i's.

The assessor just got back to me today and the car is a write off. :_(
Now it's just a matter of the insurance to get there act into gear and give me the cheque so I can buy a new car.

Sort of sux considering that i did put some money into that car over the last 12 months.
1 - New set of tyres
2- New Front And Rear Lights.

okay. Now it's just a matter of looking around for a replacement car.

****! Insurance company just changed their mind. Market Value of the car is about $8000 - $9000. However the car is insured for $13600.
Rough figure on the damage is about $7000. Right now it all coming down to how much they can get for scrapping the car.

I am hoping that they can get a good price on the salvaging my car. I am not really in the mood to be driving in a car that is worth about $9000 that just had about $7000 worth of damage to it.

[EDIT]I cleared out my car. Sadly they still want the stereo that was give to me from my parents for christmas in 2007 :( I guess i will find out in 24 hours whether the car is repair or write off[/EDIT]

Looks like they are going to fix my car. Salvage value is only worth $1600.

The problem I have now is trying to get the insurance company to pay for the rental car. Smash repair is saying it's going to take about 2 - 3 weeks to get car fix. My car rental is only going for 2 week.

If they fix it then it will still have the full title and not a salvage one... you could still sell the car for it's full worth. Of course, you would have to not mention the fact that the insurance company almost totaled it out, but I am sure you will think of something.

The thing that is currently on my mind right now is that I only have a little over a week left on my car rental and it's going to take about 2-3 weeks for them to repair my car.

I guess one advantage is that if I have to continue renting out the car, I can claim that back on tax next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom