I just reminded myself again why I should not Mix Freinds with Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
This week, I sold a Wireless Router to my freind Guido.
Now Guido is a good family freind of mine. He does not have a lot of money as he does what ever job that comes his way (Labor, Courier Driver, etc). And he's currently living with me and my family (long story).

Guido buys a wireless router from me for his boss. He tell me that he's going to set up the router and the network for his current boss.

He's currently got a problem with the network and the internet sharing. And he's trying to get me to get me to fix things up for his boss.

PROBLEM..... Really Good Freinds* and Family I fix for free. Every one else I charge my usual rate of AU$80 per hour. And I charge as the company I work for any not myself**
I get guido calling me up telling me that there is a problem with the router, and he want's my experised to fix this up.
Guido :- I am having problem with the router. I need you to fix it for me as you are better at doing these things.
Me :- (thinking) His boss better be paying for it
Guido :- Don't worry, I will pay for it.
Me :- ********! I want your boss to pay for it. Not you. I am not taking your money.
Guido :- (Rattle one all these reason why his current boss is really good to him. And that he (Guido) feels that he (Guido) should pay for my survices)
Me :- (THINKING) **** Off... No. That is wrong!!!

The problem with Guido is that once he has his mind set, it does not change.

My problem is this. Total Strangers and Freind's Of Freind and Other People's Boss are in the same boat. They pay the company rate. I have seen this guy's car, and he can easily afford my survices.
And I do not want any conflict of interests between myself and work.
And if any thing was to go wrong, legally, medically, I want my boss to cover me.

Guido is a good freind of mine who does not have a lot of money.

Guido is a really good freind of my parents. If I take money from him, I am going to hear it from them too.

*Annoying next store neighbours that purchase a computer from me just so they can treat me like an on tap techie do not count of Really Good Freinds.

** The last time I time i moonlighted with any one. Some thing do wrong. Client (Annoying next store neighbour) tried suing . It got messy. However my boss bailed me out with a warning of "DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN"

What should I do?
* Do the job for free (NOT AN OPTION!!!)
* Not do the job at at all?
* Take his (Guido) money.
* Some thing else?

I sold a computer to a friend and I had her ringing up at all hours asking if I would go round and fix this problem and that problem and after fixing another friends and him getting quite nasty that I'd messed up his computer(it was his fault, he had forgotten the right password to get on to the inrternet and thought it was something I'd done), I decided that I wouldn't help, unless they REALLY needed me too. Like you anybody else other than a friend or family and I charge them. You wouldn't expect to phone up a plumber/electrician to come round and fix a problem and not pay them, so why should people think that fixing a computer is any differnent? I would say to Guido that your not going to take his money and the only way you'll do the job is if his boss pays you. Ask his boss would he expect a plumber to come round and fix his leaking pipe without paying for it. Like you said he looks like he can afford it and if Guido is down on his luck at the moment and dosen't have alot of money then it seems a little unfair that he should pay and not his boss.

I spoke with both my sister and my parents about it. They both now how much of a mindset this guy is. So I am hoping that my sister takes the job instead as she needs money more than me.

Failing that, I am going to get one of my other mates to do it.

Wise choice, Harper. Best to stay out of it and then nobody gets upset. Hope everything works out, let me know how you get on.

Mabey you could talk to his boss about your situation and he could pay at least half (if he is a decent person).

Sevoma said:
Mabey you could talk to his boss about your situation and he could pay at least half (if he is a decent person).
I am hoping that I can get the opportunity to do this. Like if my freind of a business partner, I see no problems in doing this. However my freind only get given $100 (Cash In Hand/Off The Book) per day provided there is work.
He does demolitions and excavating. And it's hard work. Especially in summer.
And if it's raining, there's no work, hence no pay either.

Later last night, Guido was telling me :-
GUIDO :- This could work out well for you as he's planning on getting a new office and some other computer soon. Plus he's planning on upgrading his kids computer with the same (AU$490) 19' LCD Screen.
ME :- Fine, he can afford to pay me them
GUIDO :- Oh.... No No. I will pay you..... BLAH BLAH BLAH (More I love my boss BS)

If the guy can afford to pay a team of 10 people for a day's work. Then he can pay me for 1 hour of my time too. Not this bull**** where it's his employee that pays me.

Man this is odd. Why the h*** would anyone insist on paying for his boss. Especially to do the kids computer stuff.

Have u ever thought Guido is doing this on purpose? I am sure he knows that u are not going to take HIS money. So he's maybe hoping that you'd do it for free? Perhaps he told his boss "I have this friend who is amazing at computers. He can fix this stuff in no time." And his boss being thoroughly impressed with Guido, now wants to see amazing computing, but free, results.

Just a thought :)

Yeah, maybe Guideo wants to impress his boss or something, who knows?

The best option for you:

Fake your death.

Travel to Canada, I'll let you live at my house provided you bring me a 7800GTX with an FX-55.

We'll get you all setup and rolling with a new tech career.

If this happens again, we'll move you to India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom