I dont undestand......!

Status
Not open for further replies.

intercodes

Daemon Poster
Hello Registered users of TF,

The future now is open source, its turning out to be true.Many people too support open source. All the programs are made free by the programmers. Now I have several doubts regarding this new revolution. [ I totally dont understand this concept ] .

When everything is made free, what happens to the companies that earn by doing the softwares and selling them .
Say example, we take adobe, we pay some 200 $ ,for the software. We get the software with similar functionalities in the open source community for free.So everyone now go for the free stuff. Now what happens to the programmers in adobe ? ,They get kicked off?.

If everything goes free, who really earns???

Thanks

Sign
Intercodes

You earn in support. This is where the opensource movement is going. You provide the world with the software, and then get paid to support it.
It's the way things have been moving for a while now.
as to the "Adobe" way, I would like to see them bite the bullet and be a bit more supportive of their own products. at this point, I could care less id the Open source movement caused them to go belly up. I have had nothing but trouble from them...
back to the point, freeware is the same way. People do it to have fun, or try to do something better. They are not always looking for the dollar in the end. It's not all about money to every person in the world. Besides, there are problems with using opensourc programs, such as finding bugs and getting fixes. Not that the responce isn't fast enough, or whatever, but some places don't want to take the chance, so they stick with buying from vendors. That is why UNIX is still running today. Otherwise, all unix systems would already be Linux.

my 2 cents

Hmm., I thought open source programs have more support than their counterparts.
So , Open source cannot flourish beyond a level? And the companies that make softwares for money do survive the future?

Sign
Intercodes

dunno if the for profits will do well or not, im inclined to think they will in certain markets like the desktop OS for example.Game programming isnt likely to feel the open source problem at all, takes too much time and effort to do games these days for open source to pull it off.

Open source has its good and bad points, Ive noticed typically the software is quite good or completely buggy and messed up, not much in between.Seems theres an open source solution to just about anything anymore, but the quality isnt that good in some areas, other areas its far better.For server apps open source rules the scene.Some open source apps have no equal,like Mplayer for example.When it comes to support its the same way, its either very very good and often personal,or really bad, alot of programmers are very willing to trade email or ask some questions of others to get something fixed, cant say that about the for profits at all.So far im liking open source, its been a good thing I think, I dont think it will put ayone out of business, buts its proven to be workable.

Open Source is a great concept, but it hasn't quite gotten up to speed yet, for reasons already mentioned by others. In time, though, I think that people will become dedicated enough to fully support open source projects, thus giving the commercial products real competition. Thusly, money-making companies will be forced into giving superior support, service, and bug-free software in order to compete.

horndude said:
Seems theres an open source solution to just about anything
It's nice to have a program that can do 1 task really well, however I find that having to import and export my work from one program to another tiresome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom