I am an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ-CHRIS

Golden Master
Okay this maybee hard to explain. This isnt a need help thread, but if you can supply or tell me what IOS I should use it's cool :)

You know what a router is, and you know what format c: does.

On my cisco 831, I entered a command and ERASED THE OPERATING SYSTEM. This is like format c:

I have no idea how the hell I can use a TFTP server when it wont do internet stuff.

Chris your not an idiot you just made an idiotic mistake :p

Anways you can restore a copy of your ISO by booting into ROMMON mode which has a limited version of your ISO. You must have a copy of the ISO file on the PC that will use a hyperterminal to connect to the console port. The xmodem command can be use to restore your ISO from hyperterminal, example below.

xmodem -c c2600-is-mz.122-10a.bin

Select yes to continue when it warns about boot flash being erase. Now you will have to go on to hyperterminal select Transfer > Send File. In the Send File popup specify the image name and location, select Xmodem as the protocol, and start the transfer. The Sending File popup will display the status of the transfer. After it is finish do not restart the router yet, you have to issue the config-register 0x2102 so that the IOS will boot from flash.

0$ as it it isnt mine, but the people who actually own (But cannot use) it payed 500$ CDN

And thanks for clairfying what I have to do after I get my IOS for my router again.

how do you accidentaly erase an entire OS?

buuuuut considering I don't really know what you're working in and what your command was I can't comment too much, but yeah, just crazy how you can go and do that....weren't you familiar with that command or that it'd do that?

Must have sucked though...I know if I were in that situation it'd be one of those where you get that lump in your throat and you're thinking "nah that didn't just happen did it?"

lol....yeah a command like 'reload' I wouldn't immediately think would mean 'erase'

Ugh, that's nothing, I was running through some maintainance on the partitions of my computer about a year ago, I rebooted and found that somehow my D: drive had duplicated itself and totally overwritten my E: partition

I still don't know how it did that or why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom