How to tell a friend they smell bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I know there's a lot of google-able information on this topic, but I thought I'd get your opinions on this lingering problem.

How can I tell a friend that he smells bad? We're not close friends (we are housemates renting University accommodation), and it's difficult to bring it up. The bad body odour is present whenever he is around, and it drifts outwards from his room whenever his door is open. Consequently, it means that I avoid entering his room, and I have to limit our social interactions because I can't tolerate it (especially when I'm cooking or eating!).

The cause of the problem is likely because he washes infrequently, and the persistence of the smell is exacerbated by the fact that he doesn't wash his clothes! In all 11 weeks of living here, he has only had them washed 2 or 3 times (by his mum who washes them when he returns home), and I know this because he has only gone back home 2-3 times, and I'm the only person in the house who uses the washing machine. I don't think he realises that he smells. He doesn't use any anti-perspirant, deodorant, or fabric fresheners.

My concern extends beyond my own intolerance of the bad odour. I strongly believe it's affecting his social interactions with other people as well, and he's already told me that he has social problems (which reaches as far back as secondary school). Besides the possible social consequences, bad body odour would indicate bacterial growth on the body (which would also spread and grow on his unwashed clothing), so it can't be good for his health either.

I think the best option would be to just be blunt an say "Dude look you niff, an to be honest i think that's what's causing your social problems. Start washing your cloths more an shower twice a day" Also make him change his bed more often once a year isnt good enought 3 times a month min is what he should be doing.

go to cosco and get a multi pack of deodorant/bodywash and do what Nvidia said.

Don't hook him up with any girl you are a friend of, because if he still stinks she will hate you.

Invite him out to a club with other friends and tell him very casually "better wash that stink off yourself and get some decent clothes or the ladies wont wana hop on ur junk"

then hold your breath and go for a high five. wash accordingly.

Just walk in and say ...... "whats that smell, your room always seems to smell funny" and overtly wash my friend is the same so I just mention to him every time I am having a shower (twice a day in singapore once a day in uk) he gets the message ;)

I have my fair share of smelly house mates and friends over the hears. Just be straight up and honest about it. Something along the lines of "Dude. You did any one tell you that you got bad B.O." and then through him a can of Linx and a bar of soap.

"Dude, you stink - Have a shower"

Being blunt will work, he will be so embarressed he will shower every day each morning and night. If you be too discrete, he might miss the point entirely.

When you're near him just sniff and say mate seriously you need a was you stinky son of a *****..

maybe not the final bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom