How (not) to break an ipod....

Status
Not open for further replies.
wumbo6 said:
would a magnet on the hard drive do any harm?

Words right out of my mouth.

Any large magnet should damage it. If it damages a computer HD, it will damage the iPod's probably.

Although for the cost of those POS's, they should be flame, emp, water, and shock resistant...

im probably doing this to piss apple off because they keep coming out with new ipods. stop it!
what's pos?

A un-magnetically shielded speaker on quite load is perfect for it if you don't have a strong magnet around.

(To check to see if it is magnetically shielded put it to a monitor, and if it meeses up, it will be perfect.)

mac_mogul said:
I should start up an organization against iPod abuse... :sigh:
Yeah..... Call it the RSPCI
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ipods :p

Any one remember that TF user that smashed his iPOD just because it got in the way when he was clearing his dish washer?

Just so you know, putting a large magnet to a hard drive does not necessarily destroy it. It's more likely to just corrupt the data, requiring a reformat. I've done these tests with floppies and zip disks, the only way I can think of that a HDD may be different is if the magnet could damage the read/write head...

On to what you're trying to do...I seriously advise against this. Be happy with the iPod you have. Products do not last forever...they always get replaced. As competitors add new appeals to their products, of course Apple isn't just going to leave the iPod where it is to get run over. You can't expect there not to be a regular update cycle. It's just something you have to live with...if you keep delaying a product purchase to wait for the next version, for example, you'll never be satisfied. Why not be happy with your iPod as it is? All that aside, you could get into serious legal trouble if you are found out.

if you can somehow open the Ipod without it being obvious, I would run around on carpet, and zap it with static electricity. well actually I probabbly wouldn't, but that's if I were to purposely destroy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom