how long do you keep your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my old one outright 2 years ago. then when it was time to upgrade recently, it was so out of date that I had to just build it brand new anyway.

But with this one I'll most likely be buying the new parts as they come out, and sellign off the older ones, which shouldnt be that old by the time i want to replace them. I just need to get it 100% finished first lol.

Ya, I built my current machine 2 years ago..

Last christmas I picked up a 7900gs and zalman cnps9500.

about 6 months ago I got a new hard drive

ABout 2 months ago I upgraded to a x2 3800..

So mine has lasted this long and still does decent.. But it is showing it's age. No more upgrades from here on out.

I am hoping to pick up a Q6600 soon... and a mobo with socket 775. Then, I can build a new smaller system to work on. I hope to do that soon. I am already getting new RAM, and PSU for xmas. So I will have almost everything. :-D

then buy mine!!! I have a q6600... :D

Hard to say as I am constantly upgrading. I would have to say about 2 years on the same motherboard and CPU.

Most of the time, I will upgrade the Video card one year, and CPU / motherboard the next. I have a bit of an upgrade path from APG to PCI-E early next year by swapping my motherboard around from my download box to my main rig. So if I can avoid having to upgrade my CPU and motherboard in 2008, I will be happy.

Motherboard / CPU = 2 years
Video Card = 2 years (I changed that every other year to when I change my CPU/Mobo)
Hard Drive = I always increase my storage once every 12 months.
Ram = When ever the price is right.

Since I live/work in a computer shop, upgrades are easy for me.

I keep mine as long as it still runs modern software good lol
and upgrade as software demand more and more hardware resources, and then I'll upgrade to whatever is good

For me I would say about every two to three years I try to keep up eith the cool stuff an sell off my old oc or part it out. I like being up to date. It does get expensive though and I might not be able to aford upgrading as much as I want to anymore.

i leave my computer alone for at least a year.
only thing i've upgraded on my current build (1.6 years old) is my graphics.
my processor i leave alone until a fully new build.

my old computers are now servers:
1. File and Print
2. Web
3. Linux build soon - most likely ubuntu

I try to keep upgrades as low as possible.
A new mobo, processor and usually stock cooler, is all I get when I need to upgrade.
I've built my own rigs since 1999 and my case is from 2001
(Lian Li PC-60, never had to buy a new one after this :) )

Of course I had to upgrade memory few times, from SDR to DDR and DDR to DDR2. And soon DDR3? :(
Also hard drive had to be upgraded many times, until 160GB was mainstream, its perfect size for me.

I don't do much gaming so its not necessary to buy those 400$ graphic cards ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom